Chapter 14

"Tell who what?" I asked

They all look at each other in shock and stay silent. I look at them all eyebrows raised waiting for an answer. 

"Y/n we didn't want you to find out like this..." my father says.

"Find out what?" I ask frustratedly.

"We wanted to tell you, we really did but..." my mother adds. 

"Just tell me already!" I shout.

Silence...

"Your parents didn't leave you when you were young. They were...." my father trails off.

"They were killed by sky people y/n" my mother finishes.

I can't speak, all I can do it let out a small gasp. The tears start forming in my eyes as I look to my adopted siblings. "Did you know?" I ask quietly.

"Y/n we..." Tsireya starts.

"Did you know!" I snap at her.

"Yes we did" Aonung states with his head down.

I can't believe it. Those that I call family kept this secret from me all this time. I run out the hut without saying a word and go to the only place no one will find me. My cave.

I call my ilu as I dive into the water and she takes me to my comfort place. I collapse to the floor in tears when I get there. How could they do this to me? My family, how could they lie to me? 

I fall to sleep and wake up hours later. I don't want to go back right now. I decide to have a swim to clear my head. I walk out the cave and dive into the water. I explore the life in the water and feel so much better already. As I look at the vibrant pink coral below me a hoard of fish swim by me abnormally faster than I have ever seen before. I turn round and end up face to face with a giant tulkun. A tulkun on its own. A tulkun with a missing fin. I panic and try to swim back but hit my head on a rock and loose consciousness. 

I wake up with a sore head and adjust my eyes to the sunlight, I look at my surroundings and realise I am lost. The rock beneath me shifts and I hold on tight scared. I look over the edge of the rock to be met by a large eye. This is not a rock. I am on Payakan. Shit.

I try to think of an escape plan and then Payakan speaks to me and tells me he does not want to hurt me. A friend of Lo'ak's is a friend of his. I forgot Lo'ak told me all about his experience with Payakan. I tell him thank you for saving me and I am sorry for being afraid of him. He asks why I am alone and I sign to Payakan what happened back at home. I spend a few hours with him, just talking. 

*Neteyam POV*

'I haven't seen y/n today' I thought to myself as I chill in the family hut. 

"I'm going to go see what she is up to" I whisper to myself before pushing myself to a standing. I go to her hut and it is empty. 'She must be at the beach' I thought and headed over to the beach. 

I get to the beach and there is no sign of y/n but I do see Tsireya sitting on the sand by the bridge so I walk over to her.

"Hey Tsireya, have you seen y/n?" I ask her. She looks at me with tear filled eyes and explains to me that y/n was upset this afternoon and ran away. No one has seen her since. She wouldn't tell me why y/n was upset though. 

I look round the island and can't find her anywhere. Then I remembered the time she took me to some private place for us to talk about the Lo'ak situation. This is my last resort to find her. I call my ilu and try to remember the way to the cave. 

I get to the cave to find it empty. 'I was so sure she would be here!' I thought to myself. As I exit the cave to leave I see y/n approaching. 

*Y/N POV*

Payakan brings me back near the cave until he can go no further, I slide off his back and come to his side. 'Thank you friend' I sign to him and he nods before swimming away. 

I start swimming to the cave and I walk out the water to be met by Neteyam. He runs to me and envelopes me into his arms. I hold him back and we stay like this for a few seconds. We pull away and I look down to the sand.

"What is wrong y/n? Why did you leave this afternoon?" Neteyam asks me as we both sit down in the cave.

I don't answer and my eyes start to fill with tears. Neteyam notices and lifts my face up to his. He wipes at my face as the tears fall with his thumb.

"Hey you can talk to me y/n" he says while pulling me into his warm embrace.

I sign, "This afternoon I was heading to my hut after our lesson. Before I got in I could hear my parents talking about telling someone something because they needed to know but may not be ready. I walked in and asked who they were talking about to find my brother and sister there too. They wouldn't tell me at first but then they eventually told me that I was not found on the beach young because I had been abandoned. Sky people killed my biological parents."

He looks down at me eyes wide and a worried expression on his face. "How do you feel about all this y/n?"

"Im angry Neteyam but not at just the sky people. Im angry at my family for keeping this from me for so long."

He nods and pulls me in closer. "I'm here for you y/n, no matter what"

I look up to him and pull an appreciative smile. He smiles back. We shuffle back to my handmade pillows and lie down together watching the sky become dark. It's so beautiful. "Thank you" I say as the world turns dark and I fall into a deep sleep. 

*Neteyam POV*

"Thank you" she says to me. I look down to see her peacefully asleep in my arms. I place a kiss on her head and look back up to the sky. I fall asleep.