I Said No

MAYA POV

It's been about 2 months since Lane re-entered my life again. We've met up a few times and he's been pretty nice the whole time. It's taking some getting used to but it seems therapy really is helping him come to terms with his shitty self. He seems to be doing better but I've discussed with Carina that he will still play no part in our daughter's life, at least not for a long time. He has gotten back with my mom and we've pretty much cut her off as well, I don't want to risk anything.

Today I met him for a coffee to talk about the decision. "Hi dad. I think we should talk about you seeing Eve" I say and he starts to smile "Of course" he replies.

"look dad, Carina and I have talked and we think that at least for now that you shouldn't have contact. I can see that you are going to therapy and improving yourself, it is really amazing to see. I want you to keep working on that." I say in a polite manner.

His face changes to a face I recognise... anger, but then it softens. "I respect you decision. I know that we haven't had a good relationship and I can see that you would be afraid that I would act the same around my granddaughter. I understand that. I hope one day that changes and that we could fix our relationship." I'm honestly proud of him that he was able to refrain his anger.

-

I drive home to see Carina sitting on the front yard with Eve on the grass, she's picking at it and trying to eat it. I stay in my car for a few seconds, just taking in what I'm witnessing. Seeing Carina swat away grass was not what I thought I'd experience when we first dated. She looks beautiful and so does Eve. Her hair has gotten longer and darkened slightly, which is really close to my hair colour. She's the perfect mix between us.

As soon as I stepped out of the car, I saw Carina getting up and carrying Eve towards me. "How did it go?" She asked, her face was full of worry probably expected what I had also expected to happen. I told her how he was polite and respected our decision, she looked just as confused as me.