Mysterious

Fern's POV

I saw Rhys today on my way to school. It was foggy outside like it is everyday. I walked up to him slowly. "Hi" I said with my head down when I was walking beside him. "Hi" he said back to me. He kept his eyes forward. He didn't pay me any attention.

"Thank you for yesterday" I said to him. I was rubbing my arms together unsure how to sound thankful. The silence could be cut with just a breath. "Your welcome" he said as he seemed focused on other things. I was getting more nervous and I didn't know what to do. As we we're walking I wasn't paying attention and I accidentally bumped into him.

"I'm sorry" I apologized quickly. I was so embarrassed that I didn't see where I was going. I have two left feet in general. I'm so clumsy it's ridiculous. "It's fine" said Rhys as he heard me apologize. He seemed really annoyed with me. Just then I heard something drop to the floor with a thud.

We both looked down and it was a book that fell from his back pack. I went to go pick it up and I saw it read dairy. I thought I picked it up as quickly as possible since I felt like a loser but Rhys beat me to it. He picked it up in a flash. "I'm sorry" I said again.

"It's fine" said Rhys as he kept the book close to his body. I felt like he didn't want anyone to know what is inside it. "Hey Leticia it's nice to see you again" said Gideon in a playful voice. I looked down at the cement. "Don't be so shy" said Gideon playfully.

"What you have there" said Gideon as he looked at Rhys's book. Rhys didn't say anything to him which seemed to anger Gideon. I watched as Gideon tried to take it by force. "It's personal" said Rhys as he kept the book away from him.

"Oh so it's some sort of diary" joked Gideon. "Yeah it looks really cool" I said sticking up for Rhys. It's the least he deserved since Rhys wasn't talking to him. Plus he helped me yesterday so I thought I might as well return the favor. "That's lame" said Gideon. "No it's not" I said backing up Rhys who didn't say anything to Gideon for talking about his diary.

"If you think that's cool then I think you two deserve each other" said Gideon with a smirk. I saw Rhys get upset and push Gideon away from us. I coward a few steps back. I was taken back from what happened. "Leave Gideon" said Rhys annoyed. "I will since neither of you sound like fun" said Gideon.

Me and Rhys both watched as he walked away. I was kinda scared of what happened. I think it was more shock than anything. "Thank you" said Rhys once we saw that Gideon was gone. "No problem" I said as I looked at the floor. Rhys still kept his diary close to his chest. He kept it in his arms tightly.

We both walked in silence but it felt refreshing. We knew we protected each other so we didn't have to talk or say anything. I knew it was different for both of us. As we got to the parking lot Rhys sat down on the concrete step. I saw him grab a pen and start to do something. It looked like he was drawing.

He looked focused and more relaxed. He seemed very quiet and I let him be to himself. Just then Aileen and Daisy walked up to us. We all hugged and I saw them turn to Rhys. Both Dean and Talon were with them. We waved to each other for a second.

"Rhys you have to show us your drawings" said Daisy. I watched as Rhys looked up at them. "Sure you guys can see my sketches" said Rhys as he handed us his book. I looked at the beautiful forest that he had drew with a little poem he had created beside it. I loved how creative this was.

"Those look awesome" said Daisy who just looked at the sketch. Alieen liked the poem that was created instead. "I love how the words roll with the current flow of today's society" I said. Everyone looked at me for saying something like that. I looked down at the ground as I handed Rhys his diary back.

"Nobody has ever noticed that before" said Rhys as he looked at me. I rubbed my right arm feeling nervous about what I said. I looked up at him and gave him a shy smile. "This is Fern" said Talon. He gave me a smile as he looked at Rhys. I think he was trying to help me set us up.

I could be wrong or over thinking it but I found it really sweet. When the bell rang I went to my first period. I was at my desk with Alieen right beside me. I was writing in my book. I don't know why but I kept day dreaming. Rhys protected me so many times. I had a soft spot for him.

I was drawing flowers as my teacher was talking about us finding the equivalent fraction. I had his name decorative with little flowers. I kept my head low not paying attention. I was day dreaming that he defended me from Gideon again. It was the second time he protected me from him.

I was so lost in my day dreaming that I was thinking about our wedding. Rhys was really handsome. I'm still too shy to say anything. "Are you paying attention Fern" said the teacher. I jumped in fright. I didn't know I was dreaming off that bad.

"Now how do you change the Demeter of the equivalent fraction when it has been turned into a percentage" said the teacher. "You keep the fraction but you flip the numbers and then divide" I said honestly. The teacher was impressed but I sighed hoping that this doesn't happen Again.