89: Catarina

"You're cooking, Sam?" called Bucky over to their Captain, who was standing at the grill flipping burgers. Bucky stood on top of a picnic table with his arm out, allowing kids to hang from and play on it, no longer afraid of the metal limb's past. Catarina, Sarah, and two of Sam's cousins sat on the other side of the table, looking up at him. Cat smiled proudly up at her boyfriend.

"And what about it?" Sam said back. "Captain America can be multi-talented."

They laughed. "How good is he really?" Bucky asked Sarah.

"Not as good as I am, that's for sure," she said, eyebrows raised at her brother. "But I guess he knows his way around a grill."

"So when did you two move in together?" asked one of the cousins, referring to Bucky and Catarina. That subject changed quickly. Cat didn't mind.

"Oh, wow," said Catarina, thinking. "A while ago. I've got a job in Manhattan, and Bucky's familiar with Brooklyn. It's his home, so we just bought an apartment there. We've been living there for around a year now. But we've been together for longer."

"When did you guys meet?"

Cat smiled. "Well, I'm not supposed to tell you that I met him when he was still a fugitive from the government. But that's when I met him. That was... wow. That was like, ten years ago." It was a little crazy to hear the words come out of her own mouth.

"Were you here for all that time?" asked Sarah.

"No," said Cat. "I was blipped. So I suppose it was really just five years for me."

"But we found each other anyway," said Bucky, allowing the kids to take turns swinging on his metal arm now. Cat smiled up at him.

——— ✪ ⍟ ✪———

The day went by quickly. From conversations with friends, to barbecue dinners, to playing with AJ and Cass, the day went by like a dream. So quick, but so vivid. She and Bucky ate with everyone at the picnic table, talking about their mission and all the action-y parts all the people were amazed by. Some of them wanted pictures with them, and some more wanted to see how Catarina's powers worked. She would lift up things from the table without touching them and people's jaws would drop. She would play dress up with the few little girls that were there. Once the day had aged, Cat sat with Sarah by the edge of the dock, staring at the sparkling water hit by the light of the sun approaching the horizon.

"You really love him, don't you?" Sarah had asked.

"Yeah," said Catarina. "I do."

"You guys deserve it," she said. "If anyone deserves to fall in love and just be happy for the rest of their life, it's you guys."

"Thank you, Sarah."

She smiled. "Of course." There was a shout from beside them, and Sarah got up suddenly, looking around to see what was the matter. AJ was chasing Cass, who held his younger brother's glasses in his hand. "Oh God," muttered Sarah in annoyance. "If you'll excuse me."

"No problem."

"Boys!" she shouted. "AJ, you better give your brother his glasses back! How many times do I have to say it!"

Cat smiled as Sarah walked off into the distance.

God, she could have stayed there forever. And she would, too, if she didn't have a job back in New York. She'd stay in Louisiana doing nothing for the rest of time. She'd just look at the water and go on boat rides and just relax. She would never have to fight again or go through any emotional agony. But that was all a dream. For now, this was paradise. This was all she needed, anyway.