11: Breach

Cat didn't mind going to the market anymore. As she wasn't searched for, being that she hadn't done anything actually wrong, the people had forgetten all about her incident. Besides, that was months ago. It wouldn't be a relevant market conversation topic anymore.

She liked to walk around there, even if she didn't need to buy anything. But like the day all the people found out about her powers — something was off.

Many people were staring at a copy of the city's newspaper — Jurnalul de Lugoj. They chatted amongst themselves. Cat looked around at them. It was an eerily familiar experience.

Though people stood around it, there was no one behind the counter of the newsstand. Cat walked over and picked up a copy of the newspaper, peering around to see if anyone was watching her. Just in case.

She widened her eyes.

The headline read, in Romanian:

WINTER SOLDIER WANTED FOR VIENNA BOMBING

There had been a meeting in Vienna to ratify the Sokovia accords, but the building was bombed — and Bucky was the main suspect. They had a blurry picture, and though Cat could barely make out the features, it did look like him. But it couldn't be.

They had to be coming for him. She looked back toward his building, which wasn't too far from here.

She knew his past. He must have gone back there, hoping to run. But she was sure the police were already coming for him. Or someone. Some citizen must have described him and given them a lead.

Cat put the newspaper down hastily and ran towards Bucky's apartment building. She could see people in uniforms carrying weapons walking up the stairs through the window. No one else seemed to notice.

She heard a window crash in the distance. An explosion. From inside the building. Quiet — small grenade — but still effective.

Cat started running.

They weren't going to take him from her. Not the only person who cared about her. Not the only person she cared about. She might have only known him for a couple months. But she wanted that time to keep going.

Loud noises got louder as she approached the building. She ran inside, and up a flight of stairs, until she saw where the fight was happening.

"Raus, raus, jetzt!" yelled one of the men to her as she ran up the stairs. He was speaking German — a language Cat didn't understand, but she knew by his hand motions he was telling her to get out, leave.

Just then, one of the German special forces was pushed down the stairs. Another started shooting in Cat's direction, but not at her.

She had been trained for situations like this. She used her force and made a pushing motion with her arm, sending most of the bullets off course. She ducked away from the other bullets.

Someone jumped down onto the landing she was standing on, and landed on their feet. It was Bucky. He started punching one of the special forces, who tried to fight back, but Bucky was too strong for him. When Bucky saw her, he widened his eyes and furrowed his brows, as if to say, what are you doing here?

Cat ducked under a punch put at her by the special forces and kicked him back, in the stomach. using her powers, she held the man's hand behind his back and bent his other arm the wrong way, dislocating it. In his agony, he bent over, and Cat hit his head against the wall, knocking him unconscious.

Cat sent Bucky back a look that said, isn't it obvious? Helping you!

Bucky half-rolled his eyes and knocked a man over the railing — but he didn't fall, he was caught... by none other than Steve Rogers himself. He shook his head at Bucky, saying, "Come on, Buck."

He looked to Cat, confused. Cat wasn't looking at him anymore. After she had knocked one unconscious, the special forces had realized she wasn't on their side, and started fighting her, as well.

Everything was going fast. Bucky bent back a railing and used it to swing down a level of stairs, leaving the fight to her and Cap. But Cap was occupied, fighting almost three of the special forces at once, trying to get to Bucky.

Cat had an easier way. She kicked the man that had a hold on her to the wall with the force of her powers, and jumped from where Bucky had. She used her powers to land on one of the landings. Bucky had fought his way through up above and jumped — Cat followed once again, being too quick for any of the special forces who tried to give her trouble. She followed him as he marched through a hallway to a door that had a balcony looking out onto the roof of another building.

He didn't think at all about jumping.

Cat widened her eyes and gasped as Bucky landed on his back. He grabbed his backpack and started running, but someone else got in his way. They were dressed in black, and Cat watched as the person retracted claws from their suit and began fighting Bucky — who struggled. The person in the black suit began clawing at him, and kicked Bucky into one of the air conditioners on the roof.

Cap came up behind Catarina. She looked behind her to see him, then back over the balcony, scared to jump. She was working up the courage.

"Who are you?" asked Cap quickly.

Cat looked at him, then back over the balcony. "My name is Catarina Palmer," she said. "I'm a friend of Bucky's."

Cap didn't have time for an answer, he looked up at someone in the sky, then talked over his comms, backing up. Cat got out of his way — he looked like he was about to make the jump.

"Sam, southwest rooftop," he said.

"Who the hell is the other guy?" said a voice that Cat could just barely hear.

"We're about to find out," he said, running and jumping off of the balcony.

He landed just as Cat worked up her courage. She took the same running start that Cap did and used her powers to steady her jump onto the roof. Cat followed Cap and began running, though not nearly as fast as him. Bucky was still fighting the man in the black suit, as a helicopter began firing at him from above.

Bucky jumped from the side of the building, and the person followed, him, using his claws to slide down. Cap looked behind him and saw Cat following.

"What are you doing?" he yelled to her. "You're going to get hurt!"

"I think I can handle myself," she replied loudly, slightly lifting herself up with every step and ending up right next to Cap.

a.n.:

guys this is such an intense chapter its one of my favorites

oh and surprise, she met Steve!

ahhh i feel like my writing fights is so bad.. is it bad? it's bad.

literally almost forgot to post today though fijbnrefjbr

love you guys, don't forget to vote!!

molly