57: Real talk

Sam and Catarina sat at the local station where Bucky was being detained.  He was going to be let out soon, and they were there waiting for him.  Beside them, a woman came up and said their names.

"Sam, Catarina," said the voice.  Cat turned to see an older-looking woman in a green coat with dark hair.  She had friendly eyes that looked like they had seen quite a lot.  Her voice was loud and strong, and she introduced herself with eyebrows raised, observing the people in front of her. "I've heard a lot about you. I'm Dr. Raynor. I'm James's therapist."

"So nice to meet you," said Sam, shaking her hand.  He then stepped aside so Cat could do so.

"Nice meeting you again," she said, remembering a short introduction to her when Bucky first started therapy. "Thank you for getting him out."

She shook her head. "That was not me."

"Christina," said a voice from a couple feet away. Cat and Sam turned their heads to see John Walker, surrounded by fans. "It's great to see you again," he said with a smile.

"You gotta be kidding me.  You know him?" asked Sam.

"How?" completed Cat.

"Yeah, we did some field ops back in the day," said Dr. Raynor.

"I heard you were working with Bucky, so I thought I'd step in," said Walker to the doc. "Bucky's not going to be following a strict schedule any longer."

"We haven't finished our work.  Who authorized this?" asked Raynor, confused.

Walker smiled and gestured to himself as a door buzzed nearby, signaling its being opened.

"He's too valuable of an asset to have tied up," said John. Cat looked behind her at Bucky, who was being walked out surrounded by two police officers. If he wanted to, he could take them, she thought. She glanced around the station again. He could take everyone in here.

"Just do whatever you've gotta do with him, then send him off to me," finished Walker. "Got some unfinished business, him and I." he began to step out, then faced Cat and Sam. "You guys too, Palmer, Wilson. I'll be outside." He waved and walked out.

Dr. Raynor walked toward Bucky. "James, condition of your release, session now." She turned back to look at Sam, and then Cat. "You too, Sam. And Catarina, you're next."

It sounded like a threat. It really wasn't.

"That's okay. I'll be out here with..." began Sam.

Dr. Raynor cut him off. "—That wasn't a request," she said loudly.

Sam looked at Cat, who raised her eyebrows and shrugged.

"Oh, here we go," he muttered, beginning to walk off toward Dr. Raynor.

"Good luck," said Cat.

Cat waited anxiously for what felt like an hour. She bit her nails and bounced her leg up and down nervously. She'd never been to therapy before. She'd never been forced to talk about something. And Dr. Raynor didn't seem like the type of person to just give up if it wasn't working.

Finally, Sam came back into the room. His face held a solemn expression, and he didn't look up at Cat when she stood up.

"Your turn," he said expressionlessly.

Cat nodded and went into the room. Dr. Raynor looked up at her, and Bucky only stared at the chair across from him. They were set up so that the people sitting in them would be looking at each other.

"Catarina," she said professionally. She glanced down at a notebook in front of her, then back up at Cat. "Take a seat."

Cat walked in awkwardly and looked down at the chair, then began to pull it out.

"Let's put the chairs back," said Dr. Raynor. Bucky and Cat put the chairs back facing Raynor. Neither of them looked at her as they sat— both stared down at the table.

"So," she said. "Who wants to start?"

No one said anything.

"Here we go again," the doctor muttered.

"Can I just— be honest?" said Cat. "I don't, um, I really don't think I need this. There's kinda, you know, something we're trying to deal with, and I think we should get back on that."

"Maybe," she said. "But it's my job to make sure you guys are okay. And so many problems can stem from an unhealthy relationship. So really, this should be your first priority."

Cat sighed and leaned back in her chair.

"Nothing?" she said, after a moment of silence. "Okay. We're turning the chairs again."

"Oh, God," muttered Bucky, as he picked up his chair and turned it to face his girlfriend. Cat did the same.

"Closer," said Dr. Raynor. "Go ahead."

"She wants us to.." He made a gesture with his hands around their legs, and Cat got the gist. She and Bucky put their legs in between each other to be as close as possible.

"Very comfortable," commented Cat sarcastically. "This isn't awkward."

"Okay.  Now. Look at each other.  And no staring contests," said the doctor. Cat looked into Bucky's blue-gray eyes and bit her lip. "I'm guessing no one wants to go first?"

Neither of them said a word.

"You guys have to talk," said Dr. Raynor.  "That's your problem, you guys.  You don't talk.  Relationships are built on communication."

"We talk," said Bucky.

"What, 'hi, how was your day,' 'oh just dandy, thanks'? No, that's not talking. Not real talking."

Cat looked down.

"No, Catarina, you have to look at him," she said.  Cat looked back up. "Come on.  We're not leaving until you guys talk."

"Fine," said Cat, still looking at Bucky. "I'll say something.  Let me ask you, James. Why don't you talk to me?"

"You never ask," he said simply.

"I never had to ask.  We would just talk.  And I do ask!  I want to talk to you!"

"There's nothing to talk about.  What do you want me to say, 'oh, therapy was great today, I had so much fun'?"

Cat rolled her eyes. "No, Bucky, that's not what I want you to say.  Okay? Something's bothering you. I just want to know what it is."

"Nothing's bothering me." He turned to Raynor.  "Doc, will you tell her?"

"No, this is between you two. Talk."

Bucky rolled his eyes and looked back at Cat. "Nothing's bothering me."

"I know you, Bucky. Something's wrong."

Bucky just looked at her.  She could tell his eyes were hiding something. He looked upset about something.  And Cat wanted to know what it was. She finally, after all her life, had someone to share things with. Someone who would share things with her. And then, slowly, it just stopped. And she wanted to know why. She wanted to fix it. She wanted to fix them. Because Bucky was the one person she would do anything for. She didn't want to lose him. She wanted him to stop drifting away.

a.n.:

guys next chapter... omg.

not even gonna say anything. just gonna leave this one to you.

don't forget to vote, ily!!

molly