87: Proud

Catarina dug the key out of her coat pocket and jammed it in the door. Once the lock opened, she kicked the bottom corner and pushed, twisting the handle. The door flew open revealing their home, just as they left it. Bucky's blankets were still on the floor and the clean dishes still sat in the rack.

Cat let out a relieved breath as she saw it all. She took off her coat and hung it on the door, then sat down on the couch and sighed happily, closing her eyes.

"What?" said Bucky, taking her coat and putting it into the closet. "Relieved we didn't get robbed?"

"No," Cat shook her head. "Just happy to be back."

"To this mess?"

"Not just the apartment," Catarina replied. "To you, too."

Bucky smiled. "Don't you ever break up with me again," he said, taking her hand as he sat on the couch next to her. She felt the springs bounce as he hit the fabric cushions.

Catarina scoffed, putting another hand on top of his metal one. "Don't you ever break up with me again," she corrected.

"Yeah, right."

"You came up with it in the first place, Mr. 'We're not cut out for this.'"

Bucky was smiling. "Yeah okay, Miss 'I'm just not going to say anything.'"

"I didn't want to upset you!"

"We were both already so upset!"

They laughed for another moment, then leaned back onto the couch cushions as the moment died. Catarina smiled at the familiar ceiling.

"I'm really sorry about that," she said to him, smile fading. "I should have been better about it. I should have tried harder, and I should've—"

Bucky cut her off. "Don't be sorry. If anything, I should be sorry. Like you said, I started it."

"No way," she said, taking his hand into hers. "Don't do that. It's both of our faults, okay? We both got mad. But it's over now. Everything's fine."

"You're right," he said. "We're back now. That's all that matters. But I'm serious, Catarina, let's never do that again." He turned his head to face her once more.

"Never," she agreed, shifting and moving closer to him.

"Because you're mine," he said, bringing his face closer to hers. The whispered statement made her feel things.

"Say it again," she said, moving so close she was on his lap. "Say it in that breathy whisper that you do."

"You're mine, Catarina."

Oh, how she loved her name on those lips. Catarina giggled softly and forced herself onto him. No more distractions. No more fighting. Just them. Nowhere. Now.

Their lips and tongues fought with a passion as they rolled over the couch. Cat smiled into every touch of him. She ran her fingers down the smooth metal of his arm and he stroked his through her soft hair. If there hadn't been a minor setback, they could have gone all night.

Bucky began to run his fingers under her top when Catarina pulled slightly away. "Bucky— baby," she said quickly. "There's no bed in here."

"Damn it," he muttered.

"Just this," she said. "Clothes on."

Bucky rolled his eyes and smiled. "Tomorrow, furniture store. First bed we find."

"We're going to Sam's tomorrow," she whispered back.

"Damn it," he repeated. Cat chuckled.

— —