83: Ghost in your ear

As they rode down, the streetlamps got more plentiful, and they could see some of the lights up ahead where the street got wider.  Glow from skyscrapers and other tall buildings helped brighten their views.  They skidded and turned once again, now seeing a blockade not too far in front of them.  Masked Flag Smashers got into the vans where the representatives were being transported, kicking away the policemen that had been driving them.  Two stopped like deer in headlights as they heard Cat and Bucky coming toward them.  They stared into their eyes and didn't back away as close as Cat and Bucky came.

As if synchronized, Cat and Bucky both leaned onto the front wheel of their motorcycles, throwing themselves forward onto the two Flag Smashers.  Cat used her powers to stop their tumble immediately, taking her fighter off guard and allowing her to kick him in the gut.  He sprung up and began throwing punches at her, which she avoided.  His brute strength was quite a match for her quickness, and soon, the ducking didn't work for her.  She punched back hard and fast as she could. 

As she fought, she heard worried shouts and cries from the representatives.  It sounded like a ghost in her ear— she hated it.  But she had to finish this first.

But something else suddenly became more important as she heard an explosion close by.  An orange light blinded her shortly.  She and Bucky both shielded their eyes for a second, allowing a window for the two Flag Smashers to get back at them. The cries and shouts turned into screams quickly.  Cat was nearly punched in the head, but the Smasher missed and got her shoulder.  She built up her power into one leg and gave him a strong kick just as Bucky ran to help the people in the truck.  Leaving the Flag Smasher on the ground, she joined him.

The people inside banged on the doors and the sides of the vehicle, screaming and crying for help. 

"What do we do?" said Cat, panicked.

"Pull," he said.  He looked into the small, gridded window at the people in agony.  "Hold on!" he yelled to them.  They continued screaming anyway. 

Bucky used both his hands to pull the doors back, but there was a device stuck between them that held them together too well.

Cat planted herself a foot away and used her powers to hold the handles and pull.  Bucky gave up on pulling and began punching the device repeatedly with his metal arm, grunting each time the two metals clashed.  He shouted in using his full strength.

Cat pulled harder, spreading her feet further apart and leaning back to get the full force of the action. 

"It's working!" yelled Bucky.

"Keep going!" she shouted back at him, squinting in the force of her strength.  She could feel her powers coursing in the veins of her arms.

Bucky punched the device twice more— the doors slammed open, and the screams stopped with an afraid sigh. 

"Morgenthau!" they heard a familiar voice say from beside them.  It was strong and raspy— the characteristics of John Walker.  Cat sighed at the second problem as she helped people out of the doors quickly. 

All the people still looked panicked, but there was also relief in their faces.  Bucky and Catarina helped each of them out.  They got thank you's from each person as they advised them to be careful stepping out and around the fire.  One man stayed for a moment and stood in front of Bucky.  "Thank you for saving us," he said, looking into his eyes.  Cat smiled at the interaction. 

"You're welcome," said Bucky, after the man had walked away.  He took steps to where the Flag Smashers had all hopped on top of John and his makeshift shield— she could see some of his welding work and the thinner metal he had used.  It was severely dented by the strength of the Flag Smashers.  Beside him, another Flag Smasher pulled a parking meter out of the ground and carried it toward Walker on the ground.

"Oh, hell," muttered Cat.

Bucky ran at him, slamming the Smasher with the parking meter out of the way.  Cat pulled one of the Flag Smashers off of Walker with her powers and slammed them against a building nearby hard, knocking them out. Not that that was a victory— there were always more. Always. As Bucky fought nearer to a metal fence on the other side, Cat was nearer to the truck on fire. She felt not only its warmth but also her own as she fought tirelessly against another Flag Smasher. She couldn't stay far from this one—he kept stepping closer and closer to her, and soon their fighting was hand-to-hand. He was a super soldier, so she knew she had to use all her might just to give him a bruise or two. Every punch she threw, she built up all her powers into that hand and then punched him, hard enough to make him stumble back just a little. Punch, after punch, after punch, yet the long-haired fighter still didn't go down. I hate Super Soldiers, Cat thought— she remembered Bucky— well, most Super Soldiers, she finished.

As Cat went back and forth with one Flag Smasher, Bucky took on Karli, who had picked up the parking meter from the ground. He dodged her swings. Cat heard the jingling of a chain as he picked it up and fought her back with it. This new distraction gave Cat a little bit of a disadvantage, and the man she was fighting gave her a good punch in the stomach, making her stumble backward and fall. When he was about to punch her again as she was on the ground, she gave a good, hard shove with her powers and he was sent backward into scaffolding.

Catarina heard another loud kick and a grunt. She whipped around in the small amount of time she had— the Flag Smasher she had kicked into the scaffolding was getting up— and caught Karli coming back from a kick. She followed her gaze to find Bucky skidding backward, attempting to use his hand to stop. Cat let go of a small gasp as he fell down into a deep construction site filled with scaffolding. She knew he would be okay— it was filled with sand at the bottom, and he would land on his feet— but now another Flag Smasher could be sent down there to corner him. Or something could fall on top of him.

But Cat didn't have much time after that to worry, because the long-haired Flag Smasher had come back for her. Cat didn't understand how they could fight in these masks. She would hate it. She was glad she didn't have to hide her identity.

From beside her, she heard John Walker grunt and stand up again, fighting three Flag Smashers at once with his makeshift shield. There was more anger to him today than any other day, Catarina noticed. More strength. He choked one of the Flag Smashers and hit another with his shield with the other hand. He then threw the one he had been choking to the side and allowed them to keep coming back at him, hitting them with his shield or punching them back. When the two laid on the ground, it almost became quiet— except for the screams from the second truck. Karli— who had been waiting in the corner— got up and began running toward it.

a.n.:

guys something is coming i promise

it's sososo good i think you guys are gonna love it. it was an idea i had in my head when i started writing the falcon the wind and the winter soldier section and i literally would fake scenario it every night!!! omg i am so excited

also you guys have like 6 chapters left of this story??? what??

okay i'm done. don't forget to vote love you!!

molly