69: Leverage

Cat, Sam, Zemo (now dressed in his fur-collared coat again), and Bucky made their way into one of the nearest GRC resettlement camps. The lavish building didn't look like a place you would house refugees. It had grand stone architecture three stories high, a courtyard surrounded by pillars, and crown moldings around the windowsills and the split of floors.  People bustled working around a large water tank and filling up buckets from it. Others sat in the corners at tables and made little trinkets. There was stuff everywhere, and all the people looked tired. On a couple walls, there was GRC posters with their slogan written on them in large letters: RESET. RESTORE. REBUILD. Behind the words was a photo of very happy people. The people in this courtyard, on the contrary, did not look that happy.

"Shame what's become of this place," said Zemo, as they walked in through the hallway leading to the courtyard. He looked up and down the building and at the people around. "When I was young, we used to come here for fabulous dinners and parties," he reminisced. "I knew nothing of the politics of the time, of course, but I remember it being beautiful."

The group paused at the end of the hall as to not strike anyone in the courtyard. "I'm going to take a look around upstairs," said Sam. "See what you can find out here." He looked at Cat and Bucky. "And keep an eye on him," he finished, referring to Zemo.

Sam turned back and went through one of the sets of double doors leading inside.

"I'll stay out of your way," said Zemo, putting his hands up.

Bucky and Cat asked around about the woman. Some people ignored their questions, some people pretended they didn't hear, and others just walked away awkwardly.

"Anything?" Cat asked Bucky, going back and standing at the entrance to the courtyard.

"No," said Bucky. He was watching Zemo walk into the courtyard. Cat turned her head to face that way.

Zemo stepped confidently, singing a nursery rhyme called Baa, Baa, Black Sheep. He walked toward the children playing games as the people around them worked. The kids stopped bustling as he got closer and pulled out a brown bag from his jacket. He pulled a stool out from a table and put it in front of the kids, still singing. He sat on a bench in front of it and poured out the contents of the brown bag onto the stool— Turkish delights. A young blonde girl came over to him warily. He talked to her as she grabbed one from the stool, but Bucky and Cat couldn't hear what he was saying. The girl talked back as she unwrapped the treat. She then went around to his ear and whispered something. Zemo listened intently.

Behind Catarina and Bucky, Sam walked back out of the double doors. He took a place next to Catarina and watched Zemo like they did.

"It's startin' to feel like a dead end," he said.

"The hell is he doing?" said Bucky, thinning his eyes at Zemo.

They watched as Zemo got up from the bench he was sitting on and said something more to the girl as he offered her a handful of the Turkish delights. They both made a locking motion on their lips, then he handed her the candies. The girl excitedly distributed them to her friends. They gathered around her cheerfully as Zemo walked back towards Sam, Cat, and Bucky with a sly smile on his face.

"Cute kids," he said, nodding back toward them. He walked between Cat and Sam into the hallway leading out of the courtyard. Sam, Cat and Bucky exchanged suspicious glances, then turned and followed Zemo back to the apartment.

Cat walked in last, closing the door behind her as they all went inside. "Well, I got nothing," said Bucky, walking down the couple of steps into the living room.

"Me neither," added Cat, following him toward the couch. "No one's saying anything about Donya," she said.

"Yeah, because Karli is the only one fighting for them," said Sam. "And she's not wrong."

Bucky sighed and took a seat on the couch. Cat did the same in the corner where it bent on a ninety-degree angle. Sam sat on the other side of her.

"What do you mean?" said Bucky.

It was Sam's turn to sigh. Cat listened intently. "For five years," he began, "people have been welcomed into countries that have kept them out using barbwire. There were houses and jobs. Folks were happy to have people around to help them rebuild." He looked from Cat to Bucky as he talked. "It wasn't just one community coming together, it was the entire world coming together. And then, boom. Just like that, it goes right back to the way it used to be. To them, at least Karli's doin' somethin'."

Bucky looked as if he thought that was crazy. "You really think her ends justify her means?" he challenged. "Then she's no different than him," he gestured to Zemo, who was brewing tea in the kitchen, "or anybody else we've fought."

"She's different," said Sam. "She's not motivated by the same things."

"I understand that," commented Cat. "But she blew up a building. She killed two people. I don't mind her end. But her means are iffy."

Zemo walked over quietly with a tray. On it were four cups and a teapot.

"That little girl," said Bucky, as Zemo stopped in front of the living room table. "What'd she tell you?"

Zemo looked at him, then at Sam, and lastly down at his tray. He set it on the table in front of him. As he did so, he explained, "The funeral is this afternoon." He took a cup of tea for himself as he stood back up.

Sam raised his brows, surprised Zemo found something they couldn't.

"You know the Dora's coming for you any minute," said Bucky threateningly. "In fact, they're probably lurking outside right now. Keep talking."

"Leaving you to turn on me once we get to Karli," Zemo replied smartly. "Hmm." He shook his head. "I prefer to keep my leverage."

Cat looked at Bucky. He bit his lip and closed his eyes to the side, then stood up and walked toward the baron. Zemo watched as he did this, and did not move. Bucky angrily grabbed his cup from his hand and threw it behind him. The glass shattered loudly, making Cat instinctively stand from her seat. Bucky bared his teeth and looked Zemo in the eyes.

"You wanna see what someone can do with leverage?"

Cat didn't say anything, even though she wanted so badly to calm him down. She felt like it wasn't her place anymore.

Sam glanced at her, realizing she was just going to stand and watch. He walked toward Bucky, who glared at Zemo. "Take it easy," said Sam. "Don't engage him. He's just going to extort you and do that stupid head tilt thing."

Bucky continued with his death stare.

"Let me make a call," said Sam, walking around toward the kitchen. He hit Bucky on the shoulder. He stared at Zemo for another second.

"You want some cherry blossom tea?" Zemo asked, unscathed.

"No, you go ahead," said Bucky, annoyed. He walked away.

Cat let out a breath and sat back down, taking a cup of the tea with her. Zemo turned to look at her.

"What?" she said. "I mean, they're not having any." She took a sip.

Zemo half smiled. "Have as much as you like," he said. He walked off.

a.n.:

I'M SORRY IM SORRY ITS TUESDAY

okay "wanna see what someone can do with leverage" yes bucky barnes i will give you all the leverage i love you

no cat wanting to just calm him down. you know they both want eachother back but they just cant communicate and UHGDIFEH

anyway dont forget to vote babygirls love you

molly