20: Done

"We need a diversion," said Sam, through the comms. "Something big."

Cat couldn't think of anything.

"I've got something kinda big," said Scott's voice. "But I can't hold it very long. On my signal, run like hell. And if I tear myself in half, don't come back for me."

Cat made a confused face.

"He's gonna tear himself in half?" came in Bucky's voice.

"You sure about this, Scott?" questioned Steve.

"I do it all the time," said Scott. "I mean once. In a lab. Then I.. passed out."

Cat wasn't completely sure this was going to be an effective diversion.

"Whoahohoho," said a voice from the comms. A very loud voice.

Cat looked above the crates she had been hiding behind. It was Scott, in his suit... but he hadn't shrunk... he was giant sized.

Cat's jaw dropped.

Scott threw pieces of airplanes at Iron Man and War Machine from afar. When T'Challa approached, he began kicking at him and breaking crates in the meantime. Then Clint got in his way, and they began fighting.

Cat caught a glimpse of Cap and Bucky running toward the quinjet. Then she watched T'Challa follow them. She ran closer.

From above, a yellow laser cut down a nearby tower.

"Catarina!" yelled a voice — Wanda's voice. She was holding the tower, keeping it from falling, so that Steve and Bucky could go through and get to the quinjet.

Cat positioned herself to hold it as well. She had to bend backwards slightly to use all her strength. Only Wanda's powers were visible, but her toll was less, as Cat was doing half the work.

It was heavy. She could feel it in her lower stomach that the feat was wearing her muscles out. Within a minute she was already out of breath.

Cap and Bucky glanced back at them after seeing Wanda's red magic, then continued running.

There was a deafening noise. Cat and Wanda lost focus, covering their ears. Cat shrieked, keeling over. Then she heard destruction. The tower had fallen. She hoped they got through.

There was more noises. A rumble in the ground. Cat didn't get up. The noise was still piercing her head. She felt the air from the quinjet blow over her head.

There was someone talking near her. "Catastrophe," she heard. Something about that. There was a minute more. Then her name.

"Catarina," said Wanda.

Cat took a sharp breath in.

"What happened?" she said. "Did they get away? Steve and Bucky?"

"Yes," said Wanda. She didn't look as if they had won, though. "But we won't be."

Cat closed her eyes again and leaned back against the pavement.

——— ✪ ⍟ ✪———

Inside the quinjet it was quiet. Bucky only watched the mountains go by through the window. It was beautiful, but he knew where it was leading him wasn't a place he wanted to be.

"What's going to happen to your friends?" Bucky asked. "To Cat?"

Steve sighed. "Whatever it is, I'll deal with it."

Bucky didn't think he deserved to have this. Steve was saving him. Leaving others behind. Bucky wasn't exactly sure what was going to happen to them, but he had an idea.