51: Trust fall

Bucky and Cat looked up at the metal staircase of the airbase as Sam Wilson walked down it. He was followed by Joaquin Torres, who Cat had heard was a friend of Sam—she was quite sure she had digitized a file on him once. Just behind him on the wall of the landing cat spotted a poster with John Walker on it, posing heroically with the shield. CAP IS BACK, it read.

"Shouldn't have given up the shield," said Bucky loudly as they got nearer to Sam.

"Good to see you too, Buck," said Sam, to his greeting. He looked behind him at his girlfriend as he came to the end of the stairs. "Hey, Catarina," he said to her. She half-smiled back.

"This is wrong," said Bucky, as Sam walked past him. Bucky and Cat turned to follow.

"Hey, hey, look. I'm working, all right? So all this outrage is gonna have to wait." Sam continued walking.

"You didn't know that was going to happen?" asked Cat, as if stating the obvious.

"No, of course I didn't know that was gonna happen," Sam replied, a little annoyed. "You think it didn't break my heart to seen them march him out there and call him the new Captain America?"

"This isn't what Steve wanted," said Bucky.

"Oh, my God," said Sam, rolling his eyes. "So what do you want me to do, call America and tell 'em I changed my mind? Huh?" Sam paused. "Yeah, right. Well, it was a great reunion, you guys, be well." He patted Bucky on the back and gave Cat a nod.

"You had no right to give up the shield, Sam," persisted Bucky.

Sam stopped and turned to face the two of them.

"Hey. This is not what you're gonna do," said Sam. "You're not gonna come here in your overextended life and tell me about my rights. It's over. Besides, I have bigger things to deal with now."

"Like what?" challenged Cat.

Sam reached in his pocket and took out his phone, pulling up a picture of someone in a red and black mask that completely covered his face other than his eyes.

"This guy," said Sam. "His connections with rebel organizations all over Eastern and Central Europe. And he's strong.  Too strong."

"And?" asked Bucky. 

"Well, he's been connected to this online group called the Flag Smashers.  Now, Redwing traced them to a building somewhere outside of Munich. So that's where I'm going." Sam turned to go.

"Well, I don't trust Redwing, hold on a minute," said Bucky, cutting back in front of Sam.

"You don't have to trust Redwing," said Sam. "But I'mma go see if he's right.  Cause I have a feeling they might be a part of the Big Three."

Cat and Bucky pulled confused faces.

"What is a 'Big Three?'" asked Cat.

"The Big Three," said Sam, shaking his head as if it were obvious.

"What Big Three?" repeated Bucky.

"Androids, aliens, and wizards," answered Sam.

"Androids, aliens... what?" said Cat, counting on her fingers, then looking back up at Sam. 

"That's not a thing," said Bucky, staring.

"That's definitely a thing," said Sam.

"It's definitely not," said Cat, at the same time Bucky said about the same thing.

"Every time we fight, we fight one of the three," argued Sam.

"So who are you fighting now, Gandalf?" questioned Bucky.