65: Waiting here for you

Catarina might have tried to enjoy this if she weren't in such a bad mood. But she was. Besides, she didn't like people anyway.

Thumping music surrounded her.  People bounced and danced to the beat, drinks in their hands.  Everything was lit up neon.  Some people looked down at catalogs in their phones for the silent bidding.  Some stared at the art in the cases.  None of the partiers seemed to notice Cat standing in a corner with her glass of just plain water.  All around her there were lights and sounds, and in some places there were machines that spit bright sparks, adding to the decor.  It was complete sensory overload.  And covering her ears didn't help either, because she could feel the thumping of the bass throughout her body.  If Shuri had never done the operation, Cat would probably be having a power spasm right now.

She was relieved when Sam came to get her from her little corner and brought her out of there, telling her that Sharon had found Nagel.  She brought them to a large port with a lot holding hundreds of rows of cargo containers, as well as big cranes and trucks. It was so much better being outside of there.

"Madripoor could give New York a run for its money," commented Sam, as Sharon led them through the maze of cargo.

"They know how to party," said Zemo.

Sharon looked down at her phone, then turned a corner. "With that bounty on your head, the longer you're in Madripoor, the less likely you're ever leaving."  She took them between one more container, then stopped them in a larger space.  "Alright," she saying, pointing. "He's in there.  Container four-two-six-one. I'll keep an eye out while you guys talk to Nagel.  But hurry.  We're on borrowed time."  She held out her hand, which had four earpieces in it, and each of them took one and fixed it into their ears. Sharon walked away, leaving Sam, Bucky, Cat, and Zemo to find Nagel.

Sam walked up to a red cargo container with the correct numbers and opened its doors. It was dark inside.  He seemed to question that this was really the place they had been looking for.  It was dark.  It looked like how the inside of any cargo container would look.  Empty and dark.  Nothing was there.  He turned and looked back at the group with a confused face, then talked through the comms.

"Hey, Sharon, you sure this is the right one?" he said. "It's completely empty."

"Positive," her voice returned. "It has to be."

The four of them began cautiously stepping inside. Zemo took a flashlight from his pocket and turned it on, pointing it at the other end of the cargo hold. They walked toward the wall opposite the doors, and Zemo examined it closely with the light. After a couple seconds, he used both hands and pushed it in. It moved. He looked back at the group, then pushed it in more, revealing a door. Sam, Bucky, and Catarina took the guns out of their back pockets and stayed wary as they walked up the dark stairs.

The stairs led to a room full of wires and tanks of gases. On a side wall there were yellow jackets and drawers full of who knows what. When they made their way into the blue-lit room, Cat stopped holding her gun by her side and instead held it up, finger just above the trigger, ready to aim.

Inside, music was being played loudly throughout the lab.

I'm comin' home, baby,

Come on home,

Comin' home baby, now,

They walked through, pointing their gun around every corner before they turned. The place was full of vials and small bottles and wires, and it smelled like chemicals. There were incubators and ovens and microscopes, plus other machines that Cat wasn't completely sure the function of.