39: Just so you know

Thousands of Wakandan guards hopped off transports along with Steve, Natasha, T'Challa, Bucky, and Cat.  Along with them was Okoye, as well, and M'Baku, leader of the Jabari tribe. 

Bruce Banner, whom Cat had never met, but looked up to for a long time (his research on gamma rays was extremely detailed and interesting), was apparently having troubles turning into the Hulk.  He was using one of Stark's suits, the Hulkbuster, designed to subdue the Hulk when necessary — though this time, it was used for a different purpose. 

They all stood at the front lines, as the Jabari repeated a war cry.  They stopped once T'Challa approached them. He thanked M'Baku for his help.

Natasha, Steve, and T'Challa went ahead to talk to two figures standing just outside the dome — the leaders of Thanos's army.  While they were gone, the five pointed transports they had begun rising from the ground. 

They came back into the line of defense only a few moments later — Cat assumed they had made no progress.  Bucky asked anyway.

"They surrender?" he said, still looking straight ahead.

"Not exactly," replied Steve.

Cat heard distant roaring and screeching. Trees rustled, and there was stomping from what sounded like thousands of creatures.

T'Challa began a war chant — the other Wakandans repeated after him. Suddenly a giant army of alien creatures came through the trees by the thousands.

"What the hell," both Cat and Bucky whispered at the same time.

"Looks like we pissed her off," muttered Natasha.

The creatures began running toward the barrier, which turned blue as they ran into it. They ripped through it but were unsuccessful in tying to get through and instead were ripping themselves apart.

"They are killing themselves," said Okoye, appalled.

But sooner than later, few ripped through, resulting in only burns from the barrier.

The Wakandans shouted a single war cry and turned to the side revealing their shields, ready for the aliens that had broken through.

"You know how to work a big gun like that?" Bucky asked Cat. He stared ahead, but Cat could see a small smirk on his face.

"I think I can handle myself," replied Cat, hoisting the gun up and getting ready to shoot. It rested just at her shoulder. She tilted her head and looked through at her target, eye following the creatures as the ran closer.

T'Challa shouted once again in Wakandan and all their army aimed and fired blasts from their spears. Bucky and Cat began shooting as well.

Sam and War Machine flew overhead. Sam shot at each creature individually, taking multiple down, then as Sam moved out of the way, Rhodey took out the rest with multiple explosives, leaving no more inside the barrier.

The creatures were intelligent enough to realize now that their attempts were fruitless. They began circling around the barrier, stampeding to the other side.

"Cap, if these things circle the perimeter and get in behind us there's nothing between them and Vision," said Banner.

"Then we'd better keep them in front of us," said Steve.

"How do we do that?" questioned Okoye.

T'Challa looked at Okoye determinedly. "We open the barrier," he said. He raised a finger to his earpiece to speak to the person on the other side.

"On my signal, open northwest section 17," he said. He paused for a moment as the person on the other side answered, then repeated, "On my signal."

"This will be the end of Wakanda," said M'Baku.

"Then it will be the noblest ending in history," said Okoye, determination in her tone.

Steve extended the shields that T'Challa had given him. The king yelled a single word and the Wakandans turned as one and turned off their shields. He stepped to the front of the line of battle.

"WAKANDA FOREVER!" he yelled.

It was the signal for the fight to begin.

The whole army began running towards the barrier. They yelled as they ran, brandishing their weapons and ready to fight the creatures.

The barrier opened — the creatures began running through.

"I love you, just so you know," she said immediately.

Bucky turned to her with the same face he had on when she had first kissed him. This time, though, Cat knew he felt the same.

"Always as we're getting ready to fight again."

"It's the pressure of the moment," she replied.

"Stay close to me," said Bucky, as he ran just next to Cat. She used her powers to keep up with him, lifting herself with every step.

"I love you, too," he completed.

Contact.

Back to back, Cat and Bucky began shooting at the creatures, killing multiple on the spot. Cat kicked some away using her powers, but they were too strong to be held off for long. Each had four arms, pointed teeth and lizard-like faces. They screeched as they fought and had pointed fingers that had already scratched Cat's leg up a significant amount.

Suddenly one got closer and tackled Bucky as Cat jumped away. She tried her best not to panic and instead strapped her gun over her shoulder quickly. She used her powers to push the monster away as Bucky used his knife to stab and weaken it.

Cat pushed its arms behind its back with her powers, allowing Bucky to get free and kick it backwards.  He sat up further and she kicked a gun toward him.  He picked it up and shot at the monster, finally killing it.

They didn't have time to say thank yous before three more of the creatures began attacking. Though two out of them had burns, ones weakened by the barrier, they were still strong enough to hurt them both.

These were the first of the creatures to come in real contact with Cat. She used the back end of her gun to fight them off, finally knocking one away, but the other got close enough to hit again and this time tackled her to the ground, clawing forward as she held it back as long as she could with her powers. But now both she and Bucky were on the ground, as the monsters got close enough to just claw at their faces.

Suddenly Cat felt the ground rumble, and saw a bright light coming from further away. She heard a hum of electricity as it got closer, then a clang of metal as something knocked both the creatures off her and Bucky. She stood up quickly, grabbing her gun which had been knocked to the side. She and Bucky watched the thing that had killed the creatures fly back into someone's hand, who was standing right where the flash of light had been.

Cat saw the outline of a man holding what looked like a large axe, a second, shorter, person-type thing, and a much smaller creature.

Banner pulled down the helmet of the Hulkbuster suit and laughed. "You guys are so screwed now!' he exclaimed.

"Who's that?" asked Cat.

The man had a determined look on his face as lightning and electricity began to flow around him. He ran toward the rest of the oncoming army.

"Bring.. me.. Thanos!" he yelled.

a.n.

it's Tuesday. ugh wow

i hate finals week they're starting soon!!

anyways, don't forget to vote!

molly