8: In the night

When Bucky had finished, he went to read the book more, about Steve, and some of the other Howling Commandos.  He sat next to Cat, who was still sleeping, and read until he heard her voice again.

"You found the book?" she said quietly.  Bucky turned to face her.

"I did," he said.  "It's interesting," he continued.  "I didn't know I knew these people."

"I bookmarked a whole section about you," she said.

"I read it," he said, looking back down at the book.

"You're a hero," smiled Cat. 

"I think all the things I did in the past fifty years undid all the good stuff," said Bucky.

"But that wasn't Bucky Barnes," said Cat, smiling up at him. "That was the Winter Soldier.  The book got something wrong, you know."

"What's that?"

"Bucky Barnes didn't become the Winter Soldier.  The Winter Soldier took over Bucky Barnes."

Bucky looked up at the ceiling, then back at Cat.

"Thank you," he said. 

"For what?" asked Cat.

"For saying what you said yesterday.  When I was leaving."

Catarina smiled at him. "I meant it," she said.  "You're there for me, it's only fair I'm here for you."

Bucky bit his lip and smiled.

"So.. what now?" asked Cat, taking off the blanket and starting to get up off the couch.

"Hey," said Bucky, putting his hand on her arm.  "Shouldn't you rest?"

"I'm fine," she said, brushing off Bucky's hand.  She stood up and looked around.

"This book," she said, making a motion with her hand as if grabbing a book from the table, "goes over here."

She used her powers to take a cookbook from the table onto the kitchen shelf.

"What's the difference?" Bucky asked her.

"It's a cookbook, I keep them in the kitchen."

"You have one cookbook," said Bucky.

"Oh, whatever," said Cat, shaking her head mockingly. She started looking through the books on her table. "You know what?"

"Hmm?"

"I should show you some stuff from this century. I mean, you're like, super old."

"Not physically," mumbled Bucky.

"You've still never seen Star Wars."

"What?"

"Exactly," said Cat with a smile.  "I should totally show you a movie or something."

"Do you have time for that?"

"I think we have all the time we need.  I don't have to go to school anymore, you — well, you're not going anywhere, are you?"

"They don't have any leads on me, if that's what you're asking."

"Good," said Cat. "You've got to double-check when you're hanging out with an assassin."

"Very funny," said Bucky sarcastically.

Cat shrugged.  "We could start in the fifties.  You missed it."

"Thanks for reminding me.  What are we watching, anyway?"

"Audrey Hepburn," said Cat, looking up something on her computer. Hey, have you ever read Pygmalion?"