76: To love and be loved

"The GRC is conducting raids to try and find Karli," explained Sam, "but so far they've only found her followers."

Sam, Bucky, and Cat were back in the building where Donya Madani's service had been in a large, airy room with high ceilings and tall wood doors. The windows in the room were scattered on the back wall, all in different shapes and sizes.  The glass allowed lots of natural light in.  They were out of their suits, first aid treated, and safe.  Caution tape ran across the room and any furniture was put up and out of the way, as they had been taking refugees and followers out of the place and arresting them. 

"They've searched this camp, and just like the last camp, nothing," continued Sam.  As he talked, Bucky stared at the shield on the wood table beside him. "She's gone," he concluded.  "We'll never find her."

"Well, you don't have to talk like that," said Catarina, shrugging.

"But it's true," said Sam.  "She could literally be anywhere."

They looked to the side as Torres walked in.  He was wearing his usual army uniform and smiling as he came toward them. 

"Hey, you got your, uh, you got your sleeve back," he said happily, to Bucky.

Bucky didn't say anything.  Instead, he glanced at Catarina and nodded towards the door, motioning for them to go.  She stood up straight from leaning on the table across from Sam and followed Bucky towards the exit.

"You off to take care of Zemo?" Sam asked Bucky.

Bucky turned around as the two of them reached the doorframe.  He looked at Sam, then turned back around without an answer, though Cat assumed his look implied something. She didn't get a good look at his face. 

"All right, good to know you survived," called Torres as a goodbye as they left.

Cat turned around, smiled, and waved as a courtesy to both of them.  Both Sam and Torres raised their hands back and put them down as she turned back around.  She jogged a little to catch up with Bucky. 

"Are you gonna go home?" he asked, not turning to face her as they walked out of the building through a back entrance, where there were much less GRC cars.

"Go home?" Cat repeated.  "Now?"

Bucky looked at her.  "Where else?  We can't do anything.  The government grounded us."

"Where are you going?" she said, as they walked out the final gate out of the building's yard and onto the sidewalks of Latvia. 

"I'm going to find Zemo." He looked both ways before he crossed the street.  Cat followed him blindly across it.

"Then I want to come with you."

Bucky stopped walking and turned to face her straight on.  She stopped as well, looking slightly up into his steel blue eyes.  He had a face of near-confusion on— but it looked as if he could also be angry with her.

"God, Cat," he said, putting a hand to his forehead and shaking his head.  "I've got it, okay?  You've got to trust me."

"I trust you," she said back.  "I just—"  She was going to say something, give him a reason why she wanted to be there with him to support him and help him— but she didn't have one.  Catarina didn't know anymore.  She couldn't tell if she loved or hated him— well, she could never hate him— but she just didn't know if it all was right or not.  And she wanted to. So badly.  She just wanted peace of mind.

"You just what?" asked Bucky.

"Why do you protest?" she asked with a tilt of her head.

"What?"