46: Adomania

Cat gathered in the woods by a small, makeshift time machine Bruce— Hulk— whoever he was— had set up.  Sam and Bucky were there too— Steve was going to go return the stones to their rightful places in time.  Sam, Bucky, and Cat were there to say goodbye— just as a precaution. They didn't want to regret not saying anything. 

"Remember," began Bruce, opening a heavily armored case with the six stones inside.  "You have to return the stones to the exact moment you got them, or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities."

"Don't worry, Bruce," replied Cap, closing the case Bruce had handed over to him.  "Clip all the branches."

"You know, I tried," said Bruce, looking down.  "When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I really tried to bring her back." He turned to Steve. "I miss her, man."

"Me too," said Steve quietly.

Sam, Steve, and Cat walked back over to the platform where Cap was to stand, with the case of stones.  Bucky stood there, waiting.

"You know, if you want, I could come with you," offered Sam.

Steve turned to face him.  "You're a good man, Sam," he said.  "This one's on me though."

Steve then walked up to Bucky, who stared him in the eyes and waited for him to say something.

"Don't do anything stupid 'til I get back," remarked Steve.

Bucky broke into a grin and shook his head.  "How can I?" he said.  "You're taking all the stupid with you."

They looked at each other for another moment, then hugged.

"Gonna miss you, buddy," said Bucky.

"It's gonna be okay, Buck."

Bucky smiled at his friend once again.  Steve then turned and gave a hug to Catarina.

"Watch him, okay?" he said.  "Left him some of that stupid.  Make sure he takes care of it."

Cat laughed.

"I will," she said.  "See you in a minute, Steve."

He nodded to her, then turned to the platform and stepped on.  The machine began whirring.  He pressed a button on his suit to trigger the nanotech.  A white time-travel suit covered his blue one. 

"How long is this gonna take?" asked Sam. 

"For him, as long as he needs.  For us, five seconds," Bruce returned.  "You ready, Cap?" Steve nodded.  "Alright, we'll meet you back here, okay?"

"You bet," said Steve.  A helmet came from his suit and covered his face. 

"Going quantum.. three... two... one." Bruce pressed a couple buttons on his control pad.  With a flash and a shrinking motion, Steve was out of sight. 

"And returning in five.. four.." Cat, Bucky, and Sam watched with intent, almost waiting for something abnormal to happen. "Three.. two.. one."

Bruce flicked a switch— but there was no flash.  Steve wasn't standing there. 

Bruce sprung an confused look. He looked at his computer, then flicked some more switches and buttons.

"Where is he?" asked Sam.

"I don't know, he blew right by his time stamp," said Bruce.  "He should be here."

Out of the corner of her eye, Cat saw Bucky turn around, looking at something in the distance.

"What're—" she cut herself off. 

"Get him back," said Sam, behind them.

"I'm trying."