49: The art of not noticing

"Take a look," said Yori Nakajima, looking through the paper at Izzy's. Wednesday— they always went to Izzy's on Wednesday. "Nobody made it past ninety this week," he commented, showing the paper to Bucky. Yori had only come because Bucky had offered to pay.

"So young," said Bucky, food in his mouth. "Such a shame."

"You guys didn't order the usual, huh?" said the girl behind the counter, smiling at them. "Feeling a little adventurous?" She turned away. Seeing the girl made Yori think of something else.

"You should take your girlfriend out," he said to Bucky.

Bucky scrunched his brows and shook his head. "Mm-mm," he said quietly.

"Go ahead, call her," he said, gesturing to Bucky's phone on the counter.

"I'm not going to— Yori." Yori had taken his phone from the counter and opened it, then began looking through the few numbers. Finally he landed on Catarina's name and pressed the button to call. It rang, and she picked up immediately. Bucky didn't even have time to protest.

"Hello?"

"Bucky would like to take you out on a date," said Yori, into the phone. It was on speaker. "Maybe to bingo or a night of pinochle? Pinochle," he said quieter. "Yeah."

"I'm really sorry about him," Bucky said, into the phone. "You don't have to, Cat—"

She cut him off. "You don't have to be sorry," she said. "I'll do it."

"Wow," said Bucky.

"Tomorrow night, then?" said Yori.

"Tomorrow night's fine for me," said Cat. "But can we hold off on the pinochle?"

"What's wrong with pinochle?" asked Bucky.

"Nothing, actually. It's just that I was looking for some excitement."

Bucky rolled his eyes. "Fine," he said playfully. "I see how it is."

"Mhm," replied Cat.

"So is it a date?" he asked her.

"A date it is," she said. "Time?"

"Be at Izzy's 9:00," he said.

"I'll see you then."

"Bye."

"Bye, love you."

"See you."

Bucky hung up and closed the flip phone. Be then looked at his friend.

"You didn't say love you back to her," said Yoli. "Why not?"

"Oh," said Bucky, looking back down at the phone. He shrugged. "I didn't even notice," he completed.

——— ✪ ⍟ ✪———

"You're gonna go there?"

"Oh, I'm going there."

Bucky rolled his eyes. "Hit."

"See! You can't put me off with your death stares and eyebrow raising. I know you too well!" exclaimed Cat.

The two sat at a table in the corner of Izzy's restaurant and bar. Bucky placed a red pin on the boat that Cat had named the coordinates for with a smile.

His girlfriend was very loud when she was drunk, and though she wasn't quite there yet, the previous statement had been really outspoken. She was smiling and laughing as she finished the last sip of her second beer. While Bucky could easily drink as many beers as he wanted without changing a bit, Cat, who was not a super soldier like he was, got tipsy rather easily.