Sometimes he would stop in the mornings at their house mainly because some days he had certain training sessions with Angie but today it was because it was her first day of school.

Ava was in the kitchen opening her mail noticing something she had been waiting for before she was interrupted by the doorbell and went to open it only to see Derek there.

She didn't question it anymore sue just allowed him in it had become a habit now but she didn't want it to be. They had been around each other a lot over the past months enough to make it awkward between them.

Derek just followed her to the kitchen being used to the silence between them he knew Ava did that to avoid any contact with each other. He would be lying if he said he didn't want to speak to her or go closer to her the fact he couldn't was actually driving him crazy.

But he noticed that his presence didn't bother her. He could just sit there with her silent and she liked it and he was satisfied with that as long as he was allowed to be around.

Now usually Derek wouldn't speak because Ava was usually doing work but this time she had papers in front of her.

Divorce papers and she was reading them and eventually took a pen.

"He sent them?" Derek questioned, he didn't know that they had been planning the divorce for a while.

"He signed them...after months of begging him he signed them..." Ava sighed and got ready to sign her name.

"Does Angie know?" He asked, making her stop.

"She does, she was upset about it. I don't know what she thinks now but..." she paused and looked up to him. "This is what's best for her. I promised myself I was going to do what was best for her from the beginning and yeah at some point me being with James was the best thing for her and it isn't anymore, so..."

She then looked back down and signed the papers then put the pen back down. "It's over..."

"Ava Montgomery is back?" Derek couldn't help but smile at the thought and she just smiled back.

"She's back..."

"Who is?" Angie entered the kitchen making both drop their smiles and Ava moved away from Derek to make it less awkward but anyone would notice the tension between them.

"Nobody..." Ava cleared her throat.

"You signed the papers? It's over?" Angie asked and Derek turned to see Ava not knowing if the girl was upset or not and Angie caught onto it. "No I'm just asking, I just heard...it's okay really it's fine..."

"Are you ready for school?" Ava asked, wanting to change the subject.

"Yeah I was going to head out..."

"Want a ride?" Derek offered and Angie just paused looking at him.

Angie was still trying to process the fact Derek was her dad when all her life she thought of him as an enemy. She was still confused and didn't know what to feel about it but it was a working progress and they were becoming closer.

"No thanks...I'll drive but thank you" the girl replied then turned and smiled at her mom before heading out.

Ava waited for the girl to be completely gone then turned to Derek feeling bad for him.

"It takes her a while Derek she needs time to process everything that's been happening.." Ava began to comfort him. "I'm sorry..."

"It's okay, I understand you don't have to apologize ava..." he replied back.

"I do it's kinda my fault..."

"No you were trying to protect her trust me I was mad about it but now I understand I'm still mad I was robbed of seeing her grow up and all those other things he got to do but now I'm in her life and I don't want to change that" Derek said to her now facing her way and she was as well.