Chapter 40 - Mysterious Girl, AR-1S

Start from the beginning

Quickly dodging their rifle fire by running to the side, I drop to the ground behind some cover. A rather large chunk of asphalt lays there. Picking it up, I stand up from cover and run towards them, tossing the large asphalt chunk at one of them, who gets struck in the chest. The force of the asphalt caves in the robot's chest, making it fall to the ground. A spray of gunfire downs another robot as I sprint towards them, avoiding their bullets. Once reaching them, I whack one in the face with my rifle and quickly turn around and shoot the other in the face.

Now with them both stunned, I grab both of their heads and slam them together with enough force to turn both of their heads into pancakes.

Suddenly, more robots flood out, virtually from thin air.

"Dammit!" I shout, running away and hopping behind the rubble where the twins are. "We need to run!"

"Where?!" Midori shouts.

I quickly look around, before seeing an old factory. "There!" I shout, pointing at it. "Into that factory!"

"Good thinking, Sensei!" Momoi says.

"Come on!" I shout, as the three of us run.

—————

We ran inside the building, the metal within pristine for some reason. We continue to run for a long while, until we are sure they aren't following us.

The twins collapse on the ground, panting, out of breath. I stay standing, looking down the various hallways, stretching my hearing out, trying to hear the robots.

"Okay. They gave up." I say, causing the twins to visibly relax.

"Wait, what?" Midori asks after a moment, surprised.

"Yeah. Why aren't they following us in here?" Momoi asks. "They were hot on our heels right up until we entered the factory."

"That... IS weird..." I say, in thought. Why'd they give up so suddenly?

"I don't get what they're doing, but it works out great for us! Right?" The pink eyed twin happily says.

"Gah! I can't take this anymore!" Midori suddenly shouts, causing her twin to recoil in surprise and me to look at her. "What did we do to deserve being chased by robots?!"

"Calm down, Midori. The worst is behind us." Momoi says, hoping to calm her sister.

"This is your fault!" Midori angrily retorts.

"Break it up you two." I say, causing the two to look at me. "There's something more important to worry about."

"Yeah, what even is this place?" Momoi asks.

"Did the General Student Council president restrict access to the ruins because they knew about the robots?" Midori asks.

"Maybe... Or maybe she did it to hide something else." I theorize.

"Actually, I was wondering if those robots were brought here by them to begin with." The pink eyed twin says. "Though, I'm starting to doubt that now... I think there's more to this, and-"

Momoi's explanation of her thoughts is interrupted by a robotic voice.

Access denied. Access denied.

"Wh-What was that?!" Momoi shrieks.

"Where's that voice coming from?" Midori asks.

Looking around, I find nothing. No control panels or speakers or anything.

Verifying subject identity. Saiba Momoi. Unqualified.

My eyes narrow.

"What the...? How does it know my name?" Momoi asks.