Chapter 77

"Hey, excuse me? I-I got a call about my brother being in here, Ian Gallagher?" Lip started as we walked over to the front desk.

"Yeah, that's me. I was the arresting officer. Does your brother have a history of mental illness?" The officer turned around to greet us.

"Yes." Lip nodded.

"He was acting irrationally, left a baby locked inside of a hot car, and then he ran away when we tried to question him."

"Is the baby okay?" I questioned instantly with concern.

"Yeah, she's sleeping in back. Is the baby your brother's baby?" He looked between us all for an answer.

"No, she's mine." I stated.

"You're the mother?" He looked at me carefully. "Who are you in relationship to Mr. Gallagher?"

"His partner. Lover? Family? You know?" I shrugged, getting agitated.

"When we took Mr. Gallagher to the ER, they gave him a sedative, seemed to calm him down, but he's clearly a troubled kid." The officer continued to explain.

"Is he under arrest?" Lip worried.

"He'll have to face some charges, but we're not gonna hold him, but his car went to impound. You won't be able to get that processed for a couple days, and you'll have to pay the tow charges. You need to get him some help."

"Yes, sir, we, uh-- we know." Lip nodded along. He directed us all to take a seat and wait for them to bring Ian and Riley out. As soon as the gate was opened we were all on our feet, Ian walking out with his head hung low.

"Hey."

"Hey. All right?" Lip asked, being the first to pull Ian into a hug before Debbie did as I stood back slightly. She stepped back and Ian looked at me with guilt as I stepped towards him. I cupped the side of his face before pulling him close for a hug, hiding my face in his neck as I took in a deep breath, afraid to let go as tears welled up in my eyes. I rubbed his shoulder gently when I stepped back slightly before looking over to see another officer bringing Riley out to me.

"Riley" I smiled warmly at her.

"Yours? She's a cute kid. Good sleeper too. Got one about his age at home. You're a lucky woman." He handed Riley over to me as she smiled and babbled when I held her close.

"Hi." I greeted her. "Thank you." I looked up at the officer.

"You're welcome."  He smiled at me gently. I kissed rileys forehead before nuzzzling my head close to her, rocking her safely in my arms.

I looked out of the window, Riley in my lap as Ian laid his head on my shoulder sleeping. Thoughts passed through my mind over everything that had happened the last few days, weeks, months.

"We need to get him committed even if he doesn't want to go." I spoke up, catching Lips attention. "We can just... tell them that he kidnapped the kid, right? They have to take him. There's got to be some kind of, like, 'Danger to others' law, right?" I thought.

"No. It could be complicated." Lip sighed.

"Well, if he won't go, I'm just gonna call the fucking cops on him, tell them that he stole the baby. They'll-- they'll put him away for a while. At least he'll be getting some kind of fucking help." I said through the tears building up in my eyes, voice cracking slightly.

"You did okay, Megan. Hell, you tried. That's a lot more than most people would do." Lip told me proudly as I wiped my tears away and nodded.

~~~