"Yet you were so willing to be rid of myself and my companions."

A shadow passed over Orelius's face. "You killed our companions, so a debt must be paid. I am sure you understand the practise."

"No, I am not."

"Then you had a sheltered childhood, much different from my own. Now, as one that practises business practises I am inclined to practise caution and seek to protect these investments. I swear that you are free to leave unharmed, but in return I am promised coin for my services. If this dear lady that promised should have ill will befall her? What happens to my investment? It disappears and the debt is null."

"Would you not be more of a hindrance than a help? Do you know the things we will be going against?" Now Declan stepped closer to Orelius, drawing himself up to his full height. Declan stood a foot over the other man, though his words fit a larger man.

"I am wiser than you realize, archer. And here I thought you would gladly accept the aid of another, but it appears I am wrong."

Expelling his breath, Declan looked at the man before him. Many thoughts passed through his troubled mind, but one struck him as important. If Declan was meant to stop Demonica and protect Katherine at the same time, one may hinder the other. But she has improved much since she has come, he reminded himself. Even still, if there was someone with them that was charged solely with protecting Katherine, then partially the burden would lift from his shoulders.

"You are not wrong, Orelius. Accompany us on our journey and protect your investment. Another sword with us is another creature slain."

Orelius placed a hand firmly on Declan's shoulder. "For that, friend, I thank you. Tomorrow at dawn we shall take our leave and head wherever this task of yours takes us. The witch will fall!" Satisfied, Orelius turned and left.

Lowering his voice, Declan shook his head. "You are no friend of mine." Turning back he backtracked to his original position before turning and walked further into the trees.

Moonlight streamed through the branches, illuminating the spot in front of him. He stopped when he saw Katherine standing in the moonlight. Her back was turned to him but her hand rested on the sword at her belt. Her auburn hair gleamed in the light.

"Are you going to continue staring at me or were you planning on speaking?" Declan jumped when she spoke. She twisted around and smirked at him. "Did I startle you?"

"Of course not, I just did not believe you knew I was here."
"It took you long enough. You were to leave after me, so what delayed you?" She crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow, waiting for his response.

"Orelius, the bandit leader...he asked to accompany us." He reached up and scratched behind his ear. "I...did not feel it right to refuse him."

"What? Why would you allow that...fiend...to come with us? We cannot trust, especially when he will be with us all the time. What if he attempts to poison us in our sleep or something?"

"He is protecting his investment."

"Why are you trying to defend him? He is a sneak, just like the rest of those thieves back there."

"I'm not—"

"Because that's what it sounds like to me." She lifted a hand up to stop him from speaking. "You know what? It no longer matters. What done is done. I have other things to discuss with you." She unwound her arms and lifted her hands to run them through her air. She took a deep breath before she continued speaking. "It is about Rosie."

"What about her?"

"There is something not right about her."

Declan shook his head. Katherine was worried about Rosie? How absurd. "There is nothing wrong with her."

"Back in the clearing...she looked at me funny. Not how a child would look...no...this was...darker, somehow."

He laughed. "Darker? Katherine, do you understand how absurd you sound right now. A child cannot be dark. You were probably just overreacting and seeing things from being tied up for so long."

She looked away, out into the trees. "I just have a strange feeling about her. Something is off. I just thought I should let you know."

"Right, and be sure to tell me when Orelius starts dancing and singing folk songs. Some things, Katherine, are so absurd as to not be spoken. I suggest you mind you tongue the next time these thoughts cross you mind. Rosie is my flesh and blood and should be treated with the same respect you shall give me." His tone was harsh, cutting through the still air.

Katherine staggered a step back. Her face was pale and she looked as if she had been struck. "If...if that is how you feel, then I am content you have made it clear to me where you stand. I shall speak no more of this." She walked quickly past him, disappearing into darkness.

When he was sure she was out of sight, he let his shoulders slump as he sat down against the base of a tree. He looked up at the slivers of night sky between the branches. "Oh, Mother, Father, what am I to do? I cannot defeat Demonica on my own...I realize that now...but Katherine is infuriating, Rosie is still only a child, and Orelius...I cannot trust him fully. How am I supposed to do this task when so many factors work against me?"

A breeze whispered through the branches in answer. He ruffled his hair and caressed his cheek gently before it was gone. The still air that fell felt colder than before, as if all the heat had disappeared with the breeze. Goosebumps spread on his arms.

Declan lurched to his feet. Although he had no answers, he knew he must return. He took one last look at the clearing, gazing at the moonlight dancing on the leaves and boughs around him. Such beauty...He realized that it was places like this, peaceful and serene, that he was fighting against Demonica.

Demonica's rampage was destroying everythingthat was good and beautiful in the world. But it wasn't the destruction ofnature that bothered him No, that was far from the reason. Sighing, he turnedaway from the beautiful scene and plunged into the darkness surrounding theclearing. |[m<>