Thanksgiving Special

The game went on for an hour or so and you won, mostly because you have more experience, but he kept getting distracted as well. You sat on a haybale and waited for your boyfriend to finish his part of the list. Once he saw you were already done, he walked over to you and sat next to you.

“Hey, baaaaaby?”

“Yes, love?” You answered.

“Since you’re done, would you mind helping me finish my list?” He asked.

“Of course, darling, come on,” you smiled and got up to help him.

Instead of being done by sundown, you were done by mid-day, so you and Bruno decided to go to the field to eat lunch instead of at the barn. You take your boyfriend's hand in yours and you take him to the field. You lay a blanket out and put stones on the edge to keep the blanket down then you and him sat. Bruno put down the basket that had the food in it and he handed you yours then took out his own.

“You ready for our date tomorrow, mi amor?” You asked.

“Date? What date?” Bruno asked, confused.

“The one I’m asking you out on,” you smiled.

“O-Oh-” He blushed, “y-yeah! Yeah! I’m ready!”

“Good, cause I already have everything waiting,” you smiled and took a bite out of your sandwich.

You quickly but quietly pat his leg then point to a herd of deer, grazing the grassy field. He looks over and you both quietly watch them graze while eating lunch. The deer left before you and him were done eating, and once you both finished, you packed up and headed home for the day. It was thanksgiving, so you and him were excited to help your mother cook. You walked inside and was already being rushed into the kitchen, so you took your coat and shoes off quickly so you wouldn’t get your already stressed mother mad. She gets scary.

Bruno took his coat and shoes off as well then went to the kitchen to help you and your mother. After an hour or so of cooking and prepping, you, Bruno, and your mom took the food and walked out to the center of town where everyone gathers every year to eat together. You hate going every year because you hardly know anyone and it always gets loud so you end up overstimulated by the end of the feast, but you sit through and deal with it for your mother, and now for Bruno.

You and Bruno carried the heavy things while your mother carried the light things. You and him would have carried everything, but a human can only carry so much. A lot of people were already there so they helped put it all on the big table, and once they took everything from your mother, she went to talk with her friends, leaving you and Bruno alone. You turn to talk to him but realize he isn’t there, so you start looking for him. After looking for a while, you see him with his family, his mother wasn’t there, she was with all the other crusty old ladies.

You walked over to Bruno and the others and just sat and listened to them talk, but you didn’t butt in. They talked for around another hour before the dinner bell rang and everyone took their seats. Bruno sat next to you and not his family, so you finally had a chance to talk to him again. You both talked in between eating and ate in between talking, having a fun time, the most fun you’ve had on Thanksgiving, ever. You and your mother talked as well, cathing up on what you and Bruno have been up too.

He talked to her as well, but not as much as you did, and he completely ignored his own mom, even when she was talking directly to him. You have taught him well. He used to hate ignoring people, exspecially his mother, but now he does it without a second thought if he sees fit. He’s grown a lot and has healed some of his trauma since he’s been with you and you have so proud of him. Even when he messed up or backed out, you were still proud of him for trying.

You made sure he knew that you were proud of him every day, and it always made him smile, which made you smile. Thanksgiving went by faster this year because you weren’t bored out of your mind like every other year. It’s difficult to make friends when you’re so different from everyone else, you never even thought about telling anyone that you’re an atheist because everyone else, literally everyone else, believed in something. It never bother you, but what did bother you as a teen, were the homophobes. You’re openly gay, so you have to deal with hate crimes a lot.

Thanksgiving was dificult for that reason as well, as everyone talked the topic of the lgbtq+ community would almost always be brought up. This year it didn’t get brought up, it was mentioned but it didn’t turn into a huge conversation like previous years, which made this year even better. As the night went on, more people left for home. Your mother went home before you and Bruno did, mostly because he went back to talking with his family after the feast was over. When the Madrigals left, Bruno was ready to go home as well.

“Amor?” Bruno called out as he looked for you.

“Over here my love,” you answered, waving your hand.

“I’m ready to leave if you are,” he walked over.

“I have a better idea, come with me,” you smiled as you held out yout hand.

He took your hand in his and you led him to your little hideout by the cliff. You sat on the bench you made and Bruno sat next to you, still holding your hand. You smiled and blew out the lantern, and when it got dark the stars were illuminated and the moon shined bright.

“Woah…” Bruno whispered.

“The stars are pretty, huh?” You asked.

“They’re beautiful,” he smiled.

“Just like you,” you kissed his head.

He blushed and turned his head to you with a shocked and flustered face. You chuckled and gently lifted up his chin and kissed him. His face was completely red and he kissed you back happily. You broke the kiss and looked at him lovingly, he looked up at you and it was like you fell in love all over again.

“I love you,” You smiled and held his hand.

“I love you too,” he responded.

“Ready to go home now?” You asked.

“In a minute,” he answered, turning back to the moon and looking back up at the stars.

You smiled and nodded, “whenever you’re ready.”