First Dinner

You walked inside the house and casita greeted you. Bruno excitedly sat you at the table next to him but when you look at the plates, yours and his are the only ones blank. You understood why yours was blank, but you wondered why Bruno didn't have a fancy plate with his name on it like the others did. Dinner was served. It was Croquetas, one of your favorites. Its small but it has a lot of flavor so you took everything after the rest of the family took theirs. When you looked at Bruno's plate, he also had a lot and you just smiled at each other and started eating.

"I heard you two at the farm all day today," Dolores started up a conversation.

"Yeah, Bruno was helping me with my crops," you answered happily.

"I barely heard you y/n, I mostly heard Tío Bruno telling his stories," she mentioned.

"I loved his stories," you say a bit protectively.

"You did?" Bruno asks.

"Of course, they're very interesting," you smiled at him.

"Agreed", Dolores, Camilo, Antonio and Mirabel all said in sync.

Bruno looked down at his plate with a smile and kept eating happily. You smiled and continued eating. You thought the family would be more harsh to him because he was gone for years and because of how they treated Mirabel in Brunos stories. Small conversations were brought up and you spoke for yourself and sometimes for Bruno when he had trouble answering. You could tell he appreciated it. One of his rats climbed up on the table and Bruno gave it part of his food.

"Bruno, dear, weve talked about the rats at the table," Julieta quietly told him.

"But she's hungry," he responded with a sad tone.

"Well, she can eat after everyone else is done," she awkwardly smiled.

"But thats rude," he said with a defensive tone.

"Hey, if they wait until everyone is done, think about all the scraps of food they get, itll be their own little dinner," you whispered to him.

He smiled and put his rat on the floor and nodded. After dinner you walked into the kitchen and saw Bruno putting the scraps on tiny plates then lining them up on a piece of wood on the floor in the dining room. He sat down in front of it and all his rats sat in front of a plate and started eating. You chuckled quietly and he looked up at you. You sat down next to him and watched the rats eat with him. You werent a big fan of rats because they would eat your crops, but you were starting to warm up to them. You saw the tiny plates had names on them and smiled. When they were done, you got up to leave. Bruno followed you to the door and hugged you tightly after everyone said goodbye to you. You hugged him back happily. He smelled like wood chips and fresh books which put you at ease.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" you asked.

"Really!?" He looked at you.

You nod and he hugs you tighter then lets go, nodding quickly. You smiled and left, every time you looked back Bruno was in a different window waving goodbye to you. You laughed to yourself and waved back each time until you couldn't see him anymore.