The Idea

Bruno was getting ready to leave the casita to go visit you in your farm when he felt a little tug on his poncho from a little hand, followed by a little voice, asking if he could come along. Bruno looks down to see Antonio looking up at his tío with puppy dog eyes. Bruno, being the softy he is, says yes. He quickly corrects himself by telling him to go ask his mother first. He squeals and runs to Pepa. Bruno puts on his shoes with the begging of a 5 year old in the background.

"Tío, tío! She said yes!" Little Antonio yells while jumping up and down in a little jacket.

"That's great Toñito, lets go then," Bruno responds with a smile.

"Hold it right there mister," Julieta objected.

"Uh, ok?" Bruno says, confused.

"Where is your jacket? And your hat? And your scarf?" she questioned.

"Julieta, I dont need all that," he assured her.

"Nope, I let you get away with it for two days, you are wearing a coat!" She scolded.

"Ok, ok, I'll go get a hat and scarf," he gave in.

"And a coat!" Julieta yelled as he walked off.

"And a coat!" he repeated.

After a couple minutes, he walked up to Julieta wearing his coat, fuzzy socks, scarf, and his hat. Julieta changes his hat out with a winter one, even though it was a cold week in mid spring. Bruno just accepted it and smiled at his sister's love. She smiles back and sends them on their way, after putting a hat on Antonio. Bruno held Antonios hand as they walked, and Antonio skipped along happily following his uncle Bruno. They got to the farm where you were already working, and Antonio ran over to you, jumping up on some hay bales and then jumping onto your back.

"Woah, hello there little one," you say, pulling him into a hug before putting him down.

"Hi y/n!!" Little Antonio squeals happily.

You look around to see if anyone was with him and thats when you see a very tired Bruno walk over. You smile at him as he walks over to you with a big yawn. He looked very warm and ready to just collapse and fall asleep. Antonio was running around and talking with the animals in the barn.

"You look exhausted," you laughed a bit.

"Yeah I didnt get much sleep last night, heh," he smiles, tiredly.

"Yeah? And why is that?" You ask, getting a bucket of water from the stream.

"I had to stay awake for Antonio, he got scared last night from how dark his room is, and its actually really dark in there without a light," he answered.

"Aw, thats really sweet of you, but why didnt you take him to his mothers room?" you ask, loading the water onto the donkey cart.

"She needs her sleep," he whines.

"And you need yours," you chuckled.

"But I'm not as important as her," he argues.

"You poor sweet innocent boy," you cup his face, "you are just as important as the rest of your family."

"But people dont find my gift useful," he protests.

"You dont need a gift to be useful," you comforted him.

"I don't?" He asks.

"No, take me for example. I am very important because I give the village their food, I keep it healthy so we dont go hungry, and guess what?" You ask with a soft voice.

"What?" he asks.

"I dont have a gift," you say with a smile.

"What does that have to do with me?" he asks, confused.

"You have been helping me everyday, and without your gift, and that makes you very important," you smile.

"I guess you're right he says," smiling back.

"And you have emotional importance, you helped Antonio get through the night, you make sure everyone in your family is more than they think, and you make sure that everyday, your family goes to bed happy with a rat performance," you say with a huge smile.

His face turns a faint red from how much you know because of his stories, and then he smiles brightly and chuckles a bit. You pull him into a quick hug before gently pulling him into the barn and he helps you feed the animals. He keeps reminding himself that he is important and you help him keep that thought. Antonio was telling you which animal loved which food the most and told you how much the animals love and respect you. It made you smile and you gave all the animals their favorite treats.

"Hey, um, y/n?" Bruno mumbles.

"Yes Bruno?" You answer.

"I have an idea on how to keep Antonio from getting afraid at night," he mumbles while fidgeting with his hands with his head down.

"Thats great," you respond happily.

"Um... c-can I have some help with it?" he asks, nervously.

"Of course!" You say with excitement.

He smiles and whispers in your ear what the idea is.