Passing Time: 2

(A/N: sorry for not updating for a while. Last week I had a pretty strong fever and cold, so I decided to take a break. I'm feeling better now.)

"Good day, Elemental Zack."

"Elemental Zack, will you join us today?"

"Elemental Zack! Come play with us!"

It's been another few months. My reputation apparently skyrocketed from all the renovation and helping around the city. I can't walk around the city without the people around trying to talk to me.

Sadly, I couldn't truly spend much time around. Me and Enkidu still have a lot of work until Gilgamesh comes back. So all those questions and requests were met with the same response.

"I'm a little busy, but I'll definitely get the chance to do it later," was what I always said before I continued my way towards the castle.

Like always, I found Enkidu setting on the stairs leading to the throne rather than the throne itself. I've never actually seen him sit on it. I guess he believed it was Gilgamesh's throne alone, and I kind of understand.

"So, Enkidu, what do we have today?" I asked just as Siduri walked in besides me, holding a few stone tablets. "Good morning, Siduri."

Siduri smiled and gave me a quick nod before she continued her way. Honestly, a lot of the tension started leaving the city after the renovations were finished. The city was recovering pretty good.

"Hello, Zack," Enkidu greeted with his usual smile. "I actually have a special job for you today. I would like you to go to the city's smith and see if you can help them make more weapons and armors for the soldiers."

"Wait, what?" I tilted my head at Enkidu. "How would I help make armor? I don't exactly control metal."

It was Enkidu's turn to tilt his head. "Can't you bond with metal like you did with the other elements and control it?"

There was absolute silence as I stared at him like I turned to a statue, not moving an inch. It was Siduri that broke the silence. "Can you really do that?" She asked, giving me a look that asked why I didn't do it before.

I slowly raised my finger and pointed it at them. "I'll... uh... I'll be right back," I said before turning and beginning to walk away.

I just kept my head down, not making eye contact with anyone. I didn't feel like looking... well, anyone in the eyes right now. I didn't even bother checking if I was walking the right way. The only thing I can think off was how much of a dumbass I was.

Siduri did not let me live that down.

I was at the local smith workshop. I only got there AFTER I accidentally walked into one of the city's walls from walking while looking at the ground as I hung my head in shame.

"Alright, bring me your purest metal," I told the smith, a somewhat chubby but still built man with a messy beard.

The smith nodded and, with his gloved hands, he pulled a shiny chunk of metal from under the table. "Here you go. I had this one prepared this morning to use it to make some spears or maybe helmets, but I didn't hold any hope for both."

I can see what he meant. The chunk wasn't that big. It was the size of my hand. I reached forward touched it with one of my fingers, focusing on the feeling of metal.

Just like the previous times, my body began changing. Wood transformed into shiny, pure metal, making the poor smith take a step back in surprise. I just looked at the oil tub he uses to cool metal after he's done hammering it to get a good look at myself from the reflection.

In my new metal element, my fingers, feet, and the area around my face seemed to be made of gold while the rest of my body and my fangs seemed to be made from pure silver metal. It looked pretty cool.

... all the more reason to prove I'm a dumbass for not doing this sooner.

Anyway, self-loathing aside, I turned back to the smith and the chuck of metal. Holding my hand forward, I began controlling the chunk of metal and it began to change shape.

The hard metal began molding and changing shape like it was made of clay. Soon enough, a bowl like helmet was made from the chunk of metal.

"How's this? Is it any good?" I asked, looking at the smith.

The smith picked up the helmet and began looking over it. "It's... a bit smaller than it should be. It wouldn't fit in the heads of most guards. We'll also need tiny holes in the sides to connect the straps to."

I just shrugged my shoulders. "Well, I can't say I expected a perfect product from my first time. Let's keep trying till we get it right. Practice makes perfect, after all."

I just spent the rest of the day at the smith workshop. That was honestly pretty good practice on fixing tiny details when I use my elements.