One

"Why? Why is it the one time that I decide to listen to the radio instead of my phone that he comes on" I said to myself, my finger quickly reaching out to change the channel to anything, anything but that voice that despite everything still made my heart race and ache simultaneously.

I rested my head back against the headrest blowing out a long breath, my perfectly manicured fingernails tapping against the soft black leather of my steering wheel as I waited at the obnoxiously long light that was just three blocks away from the place that I worked. On a typical day, work was just work but today I was yearning to get there so my mind could focus on other things besides well, him.

To say that I haven't thought a bit about him since I came back to the city would be a complete and utter lie because the first few months were nothing but a complete fucking disaster. I felt like my heart had been shattered into a million pieces by a speeding fucking bullet and there was absolutely no way to put it back together. I mean I don't know why I expected something different, after all according to his Dad and Step-Mom he was planning on asking me to marry him at Christmas Dinner, but that last minute party in LA where he was with the wrong friends and had too much to drink just fucked everything up for us and there was no way that I was going to forgive him. I didn't care how much I loved him.

It had taken me months to get over him and as much as I appreciated the texts and phone calls from Rich and Jodie I eventually had to tell them that if I was ever going to forget about him and get on with my life that I was unfortunately not going to be able to talk to them everyday, which also broke my heart. I loved them from the moment that I met them, we just instantly clicked. They were like my second parents, but I couldn't keep talking to them because just hearing their voices brought up so many memories for me. Memories that I loved but I knew if I kept thinking about would only break my heart even more.

I would say that it took about six months for me to stop thinking about him, dreaming about him and crying over him and another two months after that for my life to show some kind of normalcy. But just last week he started to race into my life again like a speeding bullet. I was starting to get bombarded with fans on my Insta account, he was popping up in magazines and on internet searches. Clips of his concerts were being played on the news–and I have to admit the one almost had me rushing to the nearest airport so I could fly to St. Louis to see if he was okay–and even my dreams were starting to be flooded with that sweet face, mesmerizing blue eyes, and the warmth of his touch.

I jumped at the sound of a horn beeping, my face showing the redness of being flustered as I stepped on the gas and started driving towards the parking garage that was attached to the building I worked in, large fluffy white flakes beginning to fall out of nowhere as I smiled.

***

"Watcha thinking about sweetheart" Austin asked as he walked over towards me on the cream colored couch that I had decorated with several Christmas throw pillows and soft blankets.

"Just how beautiful it is here" I said with a smile as I looked up at him as he handed me my mug of hot chocolate, a matching mug still clutched in his hand as he gently fell into the cushions next to me.

I let out a content and happy sigh as he put his arm around me, my body instantly fitting perfectly into the curve of his as I snuggled against him, my eyes falling closed to the feel of his lips pressing against my head making a smile creep across my lips.

"I love you" I said pulling away just enough so I could look up at him, his mesmerizing blue eyes instantly connecting with mine taking my breath away. They were sparkling like the lights we had just finished hanging on our Christmas Tree—but dare I say brighter and more beautiful—and it didn't matter how many times I looked into them they still always had the same effect on me.