79.

WORLD EXCLUSIVE

'They all gave each other a big hug... it was very, very touching'

One Direction pictured backstage before emotional final gig in Germany

One Direction pictured backstage before emotional final gig in Germany. Photo Credit: Calvin Aurand.

It was an emotional night for their fans but it appears that backstage feelings were running high for the One Direction lads too.

A source close to the band told me:

"They all gave each other a big hug before they went on stage. It was very touching. The boys spent some time reminiscing about the last few years."

They started their mammoth On The Road Again tour way back in the beginning of the year and nearly a 100 dates later, the band finally bid farewell with an emotional gig in Germany.

The group reassured fans, some of whom travelled from all over the globe to see them at their final show, that while it was the final show in their tour, it's not the end of the band who have faced mounting split rumours following the news that they'll take an extended hiatus next year.

The four-piece finished off their tour at with a final bow on stage, before walking off one last time, with emotional fans seen holding hand written signs in the stadium. Photo credit: Calvin Aurand.

As they took to the stage, Harry Styles blew kisses as fans waved their hands in the air and clutched coloured lights.

According to fans at the gig, Liam Payne gave the crowd a firm reassurance that they will be back after their planned break, telling the arena:

"This is the end of the OTRA Tour, not the end of One Direction."

The boyband, who were formed on The X Factor in 2010, confirmed their planned hiatus in August, but despite assuring fans it's simply a break and not a break up, rumours have persisted that the group will call it a day once and for all.