The Gabling Dept

True Story

Sweat trickled down Marshall's back as he sat at his kitchen table, gripping his cards as they got wet with sweat. He didn't have a very good hand, and the bet had raised up to $15,000. Marshall started seeing stars and he felt different parts of his body going numb. His lips were dry and his back was pooled.

His opponent, Ron, a wealthy, professional gambler was getting ready to win, and he had two thugs on either side of him in case Marshall tried anything smart. He noticed that Marshall was nervous, and smiled a little. Ron was known to be a cruel gambler, and he had his terms on not

paying your debt. $1000 not paid meant an arm broken off, $2000 dollars meant an arm and a leg, $3000 meant all your limbs. Who could imagine what 15 grand would bring?

The end of the session neared and both men flipped their cards over onto Marshall's table. "Well, we seem to have a clear winner, that's 15

grand you owe me", said Ron, plainly, he didn't seem surprised. But the problem was, Marshall didn't have the money. He only had a small job of being a store clerk, and was paid $9 an hour.

"Just give me-." "You have one hour!"

Marshall couldn't keep himself standing; he stumbled and sat back down into his chair, feeling dizzy and light headed. He started for the door,

but... "Ah ah ah, no leaving the building, but let me tell you what. You can call someone to bring the money for you, just no leaving."

Marshall started to take out his cell phone, he didn't have many friends. The thought of losing his limbs, brought tears to his eyes. He would never be

able to escape Ron's helpers, they would hunt him down, and probably kill him, but that wasn't part of their agreement. Ron would torture, and then

leave you for the rats.

He went through his contacts, and stumbled across his ex, Claire, and called her number.

"Hello, Seaver residence, who is this?" It was Claire's father, "It's um, me Marshall, can I talk to Claire?"

"What's wrong with you Marshall, I had high hopes, but then you made bad decisions and Claire left you. Fine, you can talk to her, but make it quick."

"What do you want Marshal?" It was Claire's voice. "Claire, I need some help... I need you to help me pay a gambling debt.

"What the hell is wrong with you, this is the exact reason I left you, and now you want me to help you with this?"

"Claire, please, I need the help, please!"

"You hopeless pig, I'm not going to help you, you're on your own, and don't ever call us here again.

Marshall was starting to cry, "Claire! No! Don't hang up, please!"

But she was gone, and so was a part of Marshall's life.

Marshall was looking through his contacts again, tears dripping onto the floor. He saw his parent's number, and dialed it as slow as he could, and

they answered on the second ring.

"Marshall! So nice to hear from you again, what's the matter?" His mother was cheery on the other end and Marshall felt horrible for having to end that.

"Mom, I need some help... I need you to pay a gambling debt for me."

His mother was silent, but eventually she spoke.