Chapter one hundred and fourteen: I've decided

After the conversation with John, Camilo and I headed back to Casita. We got bombarded with questions from both the Madrigals and my own family. The Madrigals were decidedly less calm about asking the questions than my family but we were still both practically being buried in questions. Camilo decided that we would answer the questions during dinner. He specifically asked that our families ask us in a calm manner so that both he and I don't get overwhelmed.

Now, Camilo and I were in my room, dreading how dinner time was nearing. The room was in the form of a meadow. The room's magic seemed to have grown more powerful since we moved to Encanto and our house merged with Casita. Back where we used to live, my room seemed to have trouble transforming into a place that was outside. But now, the walls of my room seemed to disappear entirely. The grass underneath us felt like it really was sprouting from soil and the sky and the clouds looked real.

Camilo and I were laying in the grass that my room had conjured up for us, his head resting on my shoulder. He was fiddling with the hem of his ruana.

"What's wrong, Cami?" I asked.

Camilo leaned more into me and shot a puzzled look towards me.

"Hm?" Camilo hummed "Nothing's wrong. What made you ask?"

"Well, you were playing with the hem of your ruana again," I explained. "That's usually a sign that you're nervous or you're thinking about something that makes you nervous."

"Well, there's nothing wrong, mi vida" Camil reassured me "There could never be anything wrong when I'm with you, Y/n."

I smiled and began to relax again.

"But..." Camilo began.

"But?" I asked, sitting up to look at him.

"Well, talking to John about his travels and stuff makes me sort of...sad?" he said.

"Sad?" I repeated "I thought you enjoyed talking about travel and stuff."

"I do!" Camilo exclaimed "It's just...When I think about how Senor John has been all over the world, just like how I want to, and how I'm probably going to be stuck here forever...It's just upsetting, I guess."

My heart sank for him.

"You don't have to be 'stuck here,' you know?" I replied "If you want, we could travel the world...We could."

"What?" Camilo asked "You do realize who I am, right? The family that I was born into? I have a responsibility to stay in this town and help! The town depends on us!"

"Yeah, but there are other Madrigals! You shouldn't have to give up your dreams because of the family that you were born in" I replied "If you want to, we could just...Leave."

"Really?" Camilo asked softly, "You mean that? What would we do?"

"Everything!" I answered "We could travel across Colombia and maybe get another hot air balloon so we can go all over the world!"

"You would do that?" Camilo asked "You actually meant it when you said that you would travel the world with me?"

"Yeah!" I answered "Of course I did."

Camilo stared at his hands as he played with the hem of his ruana. I could tell that he was deep in thought. Maybe he was simply thinking about the possibility of us travelling the world together.

"Okay, well..." Camilo began "Thank you. That actually means a lot to me."

"Of course!" I replied, "You're not gonna be able to get rid of me for a while."

Camilo let out a soft, airy laugh. Sometimes, I forgot how pretty he was when he smiled.

"I love you," Camilo said softly.