Chapter eighty seven: The honour

We were walking through town for a while. The streets that we were walking through were decorated with Valentine's day themed ribbons and paper flowers. Above us, there were heart shaped lanterns that were glowing a warm orange glow. There were also fake dove decorations that were hanging from strings above us to look like they were flying.

Rose petals were scattered across the floor, they were so pretty, I almost felt bad to be stepping on them. I loved how the path that was leading us to where the dance was taking place was decorated for the occasion.

Finally, I heard squeals and cheers of excitement coming from the kids that were in the front of the line. That meant that they were already there. Mirabel tapped on my shoulder and when I turned around to face her, I saw she was nearly shaking. I could see the excitement in her eyes even with the mask on her face.

Her mask looked gorgeous. It wasn't the type of mask that most other people had, it was the masquerade mask that was held over your face with a decorated stick. One half of her mask was simply decorated with small jewels and golden lace but the other half was the part that stood out. It was sculpted to look like a butterfly's wing. It was sparkly, intricate and it really pulled the outfit together.

Best of all, you could tell that she had made it herself. I admired her for her talent and determination to create her whole outfit, aside from the primrose, herself, even if it was just because she was afraid of going to the mask shop.

"Oh my god, Y/n we're here!" Mirabel exclaimed excitedly.

"I know, Mirabel!" I replied cheerfully.

The line kept on moving and we eventually saw where the line was going. It was the centre of town. The streets on our way over here were decorated beautifully but it doesn't compare to how lovely the town square looked.

I was never allowed out after it turned dark so it was a new experience to see the town square at night time. The lanterns from the streets were also hanging above the centre of town but they were bigger and glowed brighter. There were also fake dove decorations and there were even some bird cages that had open doors that made it look like the doves were free from the cages. The same rose petals were scattered across the ground but there were also rose petals falling from the sky. The strings that the lanterns were hanging on had roses braided around them.

In the middle of the town square, there was a dance floor! It was colourful and mostly pink and white. Just above it, there was a particularly large lantern that gave it some extra light. I smiled as I remembered the way that Camilo and I had danced together at Marcos' birthday party. Speaking of Camilo...

'Where is he?' I thought to myself.

As I was looking around, trying to find that cocky shapeshifter, I noticed the other things that were placed in the town square. There were stands and buffet tables lined across the side of the open space. The food looked delicious and most of it was pastries and other types of finger food and snacks. It made the whole place smell like the inside of a bakery, the smell of freshly baked bread filling the night air. I looked to the side to see someone was giving out food from behind one of the main stands. It was...Julieta?

"Senora Julieta?" I said, walking up to the stand.

"Y/n!" Julieta exclaimed "Welcome to the dance!"

"Mama? Are you a part of the dance?" Mirabel asked, walking up next to me and putting her hand on my shoulder.

"Yes, many of us Madrigals have volunteered to help out with the festivities!" Julieta explained happily, "Isabela is over there, putting on a flower show."

Mirabel turned to where Julieta was pointing. I looked in that direction too. I saw Isabela dancing on a slightly raised platform. She was dancing to the music and smiling widely as the wallflowers on the wall behind her showed her silhouette dancing with her, the colours of the flowers changing between different valentine's day themed colours.

"Her flower shows sure got a whole lot more interesting after we rebuilt Casita" Mirabel stated.

I had heard stories about how Isabela was before she found herself. She never expressed herself or any of her opinions and was revered as this perfect golden child. I even heard that she was nearly forced to marry Mariano, which was shocking since he's now with Dolores. I was happy to hear that she had found herself and I'm glad that this version of her, the happier, more free version, was the one that I had met.

"Hey guys" Miguel said, walking up to Mirabel and I.

Miguel had put his mask on. The fox eye shape of the eye holes really accented his eyeliner, just as I thought it would when I saw it for the first time.

"Hola, Miguel" Mirabel replied.

"Oh um...Hola, Senora Julieta" Miguel said, tilting his head to look at Julieta over my shoulder.

"Ah! You decided to go to the dance after all, Miguel" Julieta said "Here, take it."

She handed him a jelly filled pastry and Miguel happily took it.

"Reminds me of the ones I...Borrowed from that bakery Adelita ran into when we first arrived here" Miguel said.

I laughed at the fond memory of Miguel scamming that poor pastry girl. Then I saw Adriana walking up to us. Her mask really brought her whole outfit together.

"Hey guys, sorry I didn't meet up with you guys earlier" Adriana said "I was chatting with some friends."

"No worries, Adriana" Mirabel replied with a kind smile that resembled her mother's.

They started chatting amongst themselves as all of us walked towards the dance floor. I think the conversation was about how Miguel and Adriana missed their significant others. I wasn't really sure, I wasn't paying much attention to them. My eyes were scanning the town square, looking for Camilo.

"Well, I'm gonna go dance with my friends," Adriana said, cracking her knuckles.

"Same" Miguel said "Later losers."

Mirabel laughed at Miguel calling us losers. She knows that he didn't mean it. Then she turned to face me, holding her mask over her face. I was only looking at her from the corner of my eye. I was still looking for Camilo.

"What are you looking for, Y/n?" Mirable asked, trying to look in the direction that I was looking at.

"What?" I asked, before processing the question "Oh, um...Nothing, I guess."

"Well, do you wanna come up and dance?" she asked, a soft smile on her face "It could take your mind off of things."

I shook my head with a smile.

"No thanks, I don't feel like dancing right now" I answered.

She nodded at me before waving and going to the dance floor to meet up with some of her own friends. I sighed as my eyes continued scanning the room for my valentine.

'He has the audacity to call me his valentine all day and then ditch me for the dance' I thought bitterly, my heart aching.

I kept on thinking about why I felt so bad. He had gone on a date with me less than thirty minutes before so I shouldn't really be mad at him.

'Do I really like him?' I asked myself 'Even if I did like him, I wouldn't pursue him. Right now, all he needs is a friends that he can trust and I am happy to be that friend.'

I sighed. My brain was hurting from overthinking too much.

"So sad that you don't feel like dancing" I heard someone say behind me quietly.

I turned around to see someone standing there, their hand outstretched towards me.

"You look...beautiful, mi vida" they continued "If you won't dance with Mirabel, maybe you'd do me the honour of dancing with me?"

-----

Yeah, it was the town square, I'm predictable, sue me. I'm actually pretty proud of this chapter, I tried my best to actually give you guys an idea of what the place looked like. I think I did alright, I hope it isn't too confusing to read.

-Kolour