Chapter ten: Wanna hang out?

The smell of Julietta's amazing food hit my nose as soon as I entered the room.

"Ah, this all smells so good!" I said "Thank you, Senora"

"Oh, no problem, y/n" she said "I'm happy to cook for everyone"

Everyone took their seats and made small talk as we passed around the bowls of food.

"So, how was your first day helping out the village?" Pepa asked.

"Oh, not too bad, I helped a few people put things up and get things down from high places" Adelita said.

"Haha! Did you help a little girl get her cat down from a tree?" Miguel teased.

"Actually, yes. Cliche, I know" Adelita said, pouring gravy over her food.

"No way!" Adriana excalimed.

"Was it Clara's cat?" Isabella asked.

"Yeah! Mr. whiskers, I think" Adelita replied "How'd you know?"

"Mr. Whiskers does that a lot, either me or Camilo has to get him down" Isabella said, taking a sip of her pineapple juice.

Camilo smiled for a bit until we made eye contact. Then he frowned. I wanted to glare at him or something or pay no attention to him but I remembered what I told Mirabel I'd do. I smiled at him, as genuinely as I could. He blinked dumbly at me, probably trying to figure out why I did that.

"Did you do aything Miguel?" mi mama asked.

"Um, not really, I cleaned up the house a bit and helped Julietta with the dishes" Miguel said. 

"What did you do, y/n?" papa asked me.

Everyone's heads turned to look at me.

"Oh, I played with some kids in town and I helped Senora Ramirez with something personal" I said, quietly.

"Ah, Camilo talked to me about that, I thought you were going to help her, mijo?" Pepa said, turning to look at Camilo who was across from her.

"I was supposed to but y/n got there first" he said, bitterly.

'Ugh, why is he so...infuriating?' I thought 'No, I have to befriend him. Or at least try to'

"Do people ask you to do that sort of thing a lot, Camilo?" I asked, trying my best to seem nuetral.

Camilo actually made eye contact with me when I asked. He looked confused. Probably because I was talking to him.

"Um...Yeah, it's one of the ways I can help" he said, actually smiling.

"It's so nice of you to help around town" I said, genuinely "It's nice of all of you to do so."

That earned me a few smiles from the Madrigals. Camilo looked like he hated me a little less.

"I'm just happy that now we have another family to help us!" Luisa said, happily.

"Yeah, but it's soooo tiring!" I whined.

Then we all laughed together. I was sitting close enough to Camilo to hear him laugh. It sounded sweet and it made me feel oddly calm. When I though about the fact that I was making him laugh, butterflies swarmed in my stomach. My heart fluttered.

Now that I looked at him and he wasn't scowling at me, I noticed that he was very...pretty? His freckles were scattered across his nose and cheeks, his eyes were big and a gorgeous shade of brown, and maybe that dumb smirk of his wasn't that bad.

Watching him laugh because of me, even just for a moment, made me feel really...nice.

I realized that I was staring at him and immedietly looked away. When my eyes wandered back to him, he was looking back at me. He was smiling at me. I noticed that when he noticed that we were making eye contact, he looked away. I did the same. I chuckled to myself a bit at how awkward the situation was.

The conversation moved on and we carried on with dinner. Our families chatted together as if we had all been family friends for years. It was soothing, I was used to being a part of a big family but living with the Madrigals, living in Encanto was...Amazing.

Me and Camilo actually talked to each other for the most part. I kept getting the feeling of butterflies in my stomach whenever he smiled at me.

After dinner and cleaning up, Mirabel waved at me from her window and called me into her room. As soon as I was in her room, feeling the plush yarn floor under me, she shut the door.

"Okay, so...How do you think dinner went?" she asked.

"Pretty well! He didn't really glare at me the entire time!" I said happily.

"Oh, that's great!" she replied "Hopefully, you can find out why he was doing so in the first place soon!"

We talked for a bit before I left to head back to my room. It was sort of getting late and I had to be up early tomorrow to walk Senora Ramirez's dog. When I entered my room, I changed into more comfortable clothes and flopped onto the bed. The room looked just like my room when we lived in the city. Our houses really did merge together.

Suddenly, I hear a hesitant knock on my door.

'Who the heck is trying to talk to me right now?' I thought.

I opened the door, surprised to see the cocky shapeshifter himself.

"Camilo?" I asked.

"Oh, hey y/n!" he said, as if he wasn't the one who knocked on my door "I was just wondering..."

He trailed off, not finishing his thought.

"Yes?" I asked.

"I was wondering if you would..." he continued "Wanna hang out?"

'Hang out? He wants to hang out?' I thought, butterflies returning to my stomach.

"Ugh, forget it, you don't want to" he said, putting his hand over his eyes "Sorry to bother you-"

"No!" I said a little too eagerly "I mean...No, I'd love to"

He smiled and nodded before skipping off to his room.

-----------

Hey, just to clear up a bit off confusion from last chapter, this story takes place after the movie and Abuela kicked the bucket already. Mirabel took over as head of the family and Casita turned Abuela's room into Mirabel's.

Okay, that's all from me for now! I hope you enjoy the rest of the story!

-Kolour