Chapter forty: Not so loud

I walked up Mirabel and June, my legs slightly shaking. I made sure to stay a good distance away from June. I grabbed Mirabel's arm and yanked her backwards, away from June. June didn't say anything to me, she just glared at me.

"It's okay, Y/n" Mirabel assured me.

I let go of her arm but she didn't move forward, she knew that she had to stay away from June as well.

"Calm down, Y/n" June spat out "I'm not gonna hurt her. I was just about to tell her to deliver a message to you but since you're here, I'll just tell you myself!"

I gulped and waited for her to say something.

"You better watch you fucking back at your little brother's gift ceremony" June threatened "I can't believe you still came back to school after I put you in a coma. I guess that wasn't enough of a warning!"

"June, stay away from us" Mirabel said "What is wrong with you?"

"Shut up, Mirabel. Just because you're 'the head of your family' doesn't mean I'm scared of you" June said, venom in her voice "This is between me and Y/n."

"It's fine Mirabel, let her say what she wants" I said calmly.

"I am going to do something that makes sure that you won't ever come back to school" June warned "Hell, it might even make you and your pathetic family leave the Encanto forever and go back to wherever you came from!"

June laughed at the thought. Mirabel and I shifted uncomfortably.

"The minute I saw you at the front of the class, holding my Camilo's hand, I asked myself why you didn't just stay away like I asked even after I hurt you" June continued "Then I realized that it was because I hurt you physically! Of course that didn't do anything, you had Julieta to heal you!"

With the way June was talking, I felt unsafe and I had to force my legs to stay put and not run away. I had to stay strong. I put my arm in front of Mirabel, in case June tried anything.

"I realized that I had to hurt you mentally! Emotionally! I had to hurt you so bad that you would never EVER recover!" June said, laughing darkly "And I know just how to do it."

Then, to my relief, Principal Aragonez spotted us. The tall man walked up to the three of us and stared hard.

"Why aren't you all in your classes?" he asked "Go."

Me and Mirabel immedietly started hurrying to our classes. I looked behind me to see June walking in the other direction but still watching me. I shuddered and made it to the art class. I said goodbye to Mirabel and walked inside.

I took a seat next to Emilio, who was sketching someone in his notebook. I could faintly recognize who he was drawing.

"Hey Y/n" Emilio said, not looking up from his sketch "What took you so long?"

"June was threatening me..." I said quietly.

Emilio put down his pencil and turned his whole body to look at me.

"What did she say?" Emilio asked.

"She threatened to hurt me and my family at Marcos' gift cermony" I whispered, trying not to let others around us hear.

"Seriously? June is threatening to hurt your family now?" Emilio asked "She's only getting worse..."

"She said she was going to hurt my mentally and emotionally this time because hurting me physically 'wasn't enough'" I said.

"God..." Emilio muttered "We've gotta tell the others at lunch, okay? We'll help protect you and your family during Marcos' gift ceremony."

I nodded.

"Thank, Emilio" I said "Let's not talk about that right now, okay?"

"Sure" Emilio replied, giving me a soft smile.

"So who are you drawing?" I asked, peeking at his sketchbook.

He immedietly covered the drawing with his hands.

"Uh, nobody. It's not a real person I'm just practicing how I draw faces" he replied.

"No, I could've sworn I recognized the person you were drawing!" I exclaimed "Move your hands, let me see!"

"Nooo!" Emilio said shutting his sketchbook "It's not even interesting!"

"If you're doing this much to hide it, it has to be" I said "Now show me!"

"Hm..." Emilio said, thinking for a moment "If I do, you have to promise me that you won't tell anyone..."

I nodded and put my hand over my heart as a promise.

"And you have to give me your chocolate cake since that's today's lunch special" he added.

I groaned but agreed anyway. Then he opened up his sketchbook and hesitantly flipped to the page. I caught glimpses of other drawings that he had done, he was a really good artist. Then he finally made it to the page. I examined it and realized who it was.

"Omg, why are you drawing Ruben?" I teased.

"Does it look like him?" he asked, shyly "I don't really know how to draw his eyes..."

"It looks great!" I said "But I asked why you were drawing him."

I took another look at the sketch and saw little hearts surrounding it.

"Awww!" I exclaimed when I noticed the hearts "You drew little hearts around him!"

Emilio shut his sketchbook again and put rested his head on the table with a groan.

"Ugh, I forgot about that..." Emilio said, his words being muffled "Soooo embarrasing!"

"At least Amelia isn't here" I said "I could easily tell her..."

He shot up and grabbed my collar.

"Don't you dare!" Emilio said, uncharacteristically loud "You promised!"

I laughed and gently tugged his hand off of my collar.

"I was kidding, I wouldn't do that to you" I said "So do you...Like Ruben?"

Emilio got noticably more red before turning away and avoiding my eager eyes.

"You totally do!" I exclaimed.

"Oh my god, shhhh!" Emilio shushed "Not so loud!"

I laughed at his embarrasment and promised that I wouldn't tell anyone.