Chapter twenty two: More than okay

Finally, the final bell rung. I was starting to get antsy in my seat. I got up from my desk, stretched and headed off to my locker to grab my bag. Once I got close enough, I noticed Camilo was leaning on my locker, talking to a girl that I couldn't quite see.

He had a smirk on his face and his eyes were halfway closed, the girl he was talking to was shifting nervously and fiddling with the hem of her skirt. He was most definitely flirting with this girl.

"Excuse me, Senor" I said, tapping his shoulder "You're leaning on my locker."

"Oh, Y/n!" he exclaimed cheerfully, his flirty smirk fading away and in it's place, a bright smile.

'Someone's happy to see me' I thought.

"Stop flirting with innocent people Camilo, they can't resist your many charms" I said, rolling my eyes.

He chuckled and flexed his arm.

"Oh yes, very macho, Cami" I said, grabbing my bag out of my locker.

Then I looked over his shoulder to find that the "innocent girl" he was flirting with was actually June.

"Hey, Camilo! Can I borrow y/n for a sec?" June asked, a fake smile plastered on her face.

"Again? Are you two becoming friends?" Camilo asked, smiling.

"Mhm! Y/n is just such nice company!" June yelled back as she yanked me away.

'What is it with everyone in this place and their yanking habit?' I thought.

We pushed through one of the doors that led to the back area of the school, there was nobody else there and for good reason. The back of the school was being renovated and it looked unfinished, somewhat scary in a way. Abandoned almost.

"What now, June?" I asked, sternly.

"I was making progress with him!" she yelled in my face "But you had to come in out of nowhere and ruin it! AGAIN!"

"Hey! It's not my fault that you decided to 'make progress' with him in front of my locker!" I replied.

"Ugh! You are so annoying! Just stay away from my Camilo!" she screamed.

"I can't! If you haven't noticed, I live with the guy!" I retorted.

"UGH! Fine! But you don't get to talk to him at school, this school is MY territory!" June yelled, pointing to herself.

"And what if I do talk to him?" I asked, challenging her.

"If you even look in the general direction of my Camilo, I will make sure you get kicked out of this school!" she said, nearly pushing her face into mine.

I scoffed and went back inside to find Mirabel and Camilo, Adriana and Miguel had already left. June was getting on my nerves. She was treating Camilo and this entire school as her property.

"Y/n!" Mirabel called out.

"Oh, hey Mirabel!" I said, walking towards her and Camilo.

"I've got homework so ask Camilo to walk you home, okay?" Mirabel said, to which I nodded.

"Y/n, why did June take you outside?" Camilo asked, after Mirabel had left.

I contemplated telling the truth but that would just cause unecessary complicaations. I didn't need June pulling me away from my friends for any more heart to heart talks.

"Oh, she was telling me about her crush on you" I said, which wasn't necessarily a lie.

"W-What?" Camilo asked "June? She's just a friend, she uh..."

"Oh, June? Yeah, she's liked Camilo for a while now" Amelia said, walking up to us, Emilio tailing behind her.

"What? No!" Camilo exclaimed.

"Camilo, she confessed to liking you last summer" Emilio said "She tried to kiss you."

"Yeah, but I made sure she understood that I didn't like her that way!" Camilo replied "She promised she'd stop threatening other people for me..."

Needless to say, she did not.

"She did! But she still likes you, the way she looks at you it's..." Emilio said, cringing "Almost possesive..."

'You have no idea...' I thought.

"Guys, I know you don't really like her but can we stop trash talking June?" Camilo asked "I don't like talking negatively behind people's backs..."

I knew that when Camilo said that, he was just trying not to do what other people were doing to him. The people that talked behind his back called him useless and a trouble maker and were obviously jealous of how popular he was. I felt bad for him.

"Uh...Sure, Camilo" Emilio said, looking at the ground.

"To change the subject, we need to get back to Casita" I said "My little brother's birthday is coming up and we need to decide who gets to plan the whole thing."

Camilo's eyes lit up and he flashed me a grin before taking my hand in his and speeding out the door of the school, dragging me along with me.

"Camilo Pedro Madrigal, where are we going?!" I asked.

"Jeez, you don't gotta middle name me!" he replied, not answering my question.

Camilo took the lead and weaved us through a busy market place. After we made it through the sea of people and I felt like I could breathe again, I noticed that Camilo had something in his hand, a gift.

"Cami, where did you get that?" I asked "You didn't let go of my hand, when did you pay for it?"

He flashed me a guilty look.

"Did you not pay?!" I screamed.

"No! I payed, I swear!" he said as he let go of my hand to raise them "Besides, it's just a gift for Marcos, you said his brithday was coming up, no?"

"Yeah, but did you have to yank me out of school that fast? My arm is getting sore from being dragged everywhere" I said, rubbing my shoulder.

"Oh, sorry..." he said, genuinely "I'll get my Tia Julieta to make you something, okay?"

I nodded and realized we weren't too far from Casita. He smiled at me and I smiled back. He took my hand but didn't start running, he starting slowly walking towards Casita. I froze an he looked back at me when he didn't hear my footsteps.

"Oh, uh...Is this okay?" he asked, loosening his hand.

I tightened my grip on him before he could let go.

"More than okay" I said, smiling and catching up to him.

We walked hand in hand all the way to Casita.