Chapter twenty six: Entertain some guests

I changed into the clothes I had planned for the party, simple but still stylish enough to be considered party clothes. I rushed downstairs to help Camilo with greeting the guests coming in. He wasn't shapeshifting into the guests as he gave them high fives which made me smile. I guess he's happy with being himself right now.

Then I saw June and her family walking up to Casita. Ugh, one of the bad things about having a party that everyone in town is invited to attend is that everyone in town was invited to attend, including people we don't actually want to come. But it would be rude to exclude.

June made sure to go to the side of the door that Camilo was greeting people from. I watched her as I greeted people coming in absent mindedly.

"Camilo! Thanks for inviting me to this birthday party!" June exclaimed.

"No problem, June" Camilo replied.

"I'm really sorry but I'm really bad with birthdays, which one of the Madrigals' birthday is it?" June asked.

"Oh, it's none of us actually, this is a birthday party for Marcos L/n!" Camilo explained cheerfully "Hey, sorry for cutting the conversation short but I've got people to greet, stay inside, yeah?"

"Marcos...L/n?! I thought I..." June said.

Then she turned to me and bared her teeth like a damn animal. She reluctantly walked inside. I decided to forget that happened and continued greeting people.

Once everyone was inside and there was no sign of anyone else coming in, we had everyone hide so we could surprise Marcos as he came down from his nap. Mi mama and papa went upstairs to wake him up and guide him outside to where the party was. Camilo was given the job of holding the the string that released the banner and letting go of the string when Marcos was in a good place to see it.

Mi mama exited the nursery and gave a thumbs up to the ground, signaling that he was awake and everything was going well so far. I nodded at Camilo and he nodded back. Then my mother opened the door and Marcos sleepily walked outside.

"Feliz cumpleanos! (Happy birthday!)" we all yelled as Marcos made it to the staircase.

Camilo let go of the string and the banner was released. The banner read "Happy birthday, Marcos" on it.

"Oh! Oh wow!" Marcos excaimed, happily running down the stairs, mama and papa close behind him.

He nearly fell as he was excitedly running down the stairs but Casita caught him. Marcos ran to where Miguel, Adriana, Adelita and I were standing and tried to hug all of us at once. He couldn't really do it because his arms were still very short but it was such a sweet gesture.

"Thank you sooo much!" he said, his eyes shut tight as he hugged us.

"No problem, primo" Adriana said, ruffling his hair.

"Hey, say thank you to Camilo too, he planned the party" I said, fixing his hair.

Me and Marcos then spotted Camilo cheerfully leading the guests to the breakfast patio where we had set some food. I pushed Marcos towards him and Marcos ran up to Camilo and hugged his legs.

"Thank you, Camilo!" Marcos said.

"Aww! You're welcome, Marcos!" Camilo said "Congratulations on becoming five years old! You're getting old."

"Yeah, but you're like fifty so" Marcos retaliated.

"Fif-TEEN! I am fifteen, not fifty, my mami is fifty" Camilo corrected.

"Camilo!" we all heard Pepa say from another room.

"Ay! Sorry, mami!" Camilo said, realizing that Dolores must've told her what he had said "Dolores, you snitch..."

I chuckled and told Marcos to go outside and get some food with the other guests. I heard a few people wishing Marcos a happy birthday. Camilo was so good with him, he was good with kids in general, it must be from being an older brother. Speaking of Camilo, where was he?

I walked over to Dolores, who was in the kitchen getting some water.

"Hey Dolores, have you seen Camilo?" I asked.

"Oh, looking for your boyfriend, y/n?" Dolores asked, a smug smile on her face that confirmed that she and Camilo were related "He's in the bathroom struggling with his hair or something."

I payed no attention to her teasing and walked over to the closed bathroom door.

"Hey, Cami! Don't take too long fixing your hair, we've got guests to entertain!" I said to the door.

The door opened, revealing a frustrated Camilo. He pulled me inside and shut the door once I was fully in the room.

"Help me with my hair please!" he begged "I've been trying to get it to look the way it did during the sleepover but I can't figure out how you did it!"

I laughed at him.

"No, don't laugh at me!" he whined "I've tried gel but my hair just won't stay! Its got too much volume or something!"

I laughed harder, touching the area of his hair that was clearly smothered in hair gel.

"I didn't use any gel Cami, let's get this stuff out of your hair" I said, laughing "I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use this much product."

He sulked as I washed the gel out of his hair over the sink. Once we got all of it out, I pulled a towel over his head and rubbed his hair with it until it was dry.

"Okay, cool, my hair is back to normal but how did you do it?!" he asked.

Then I reached into my pocket and revealed my secret weapon. A hair pin. His eyes widened when I did.

"Ohhh...That makes sense" he exclaimed, causing me to chuckle as I styled his hair.

I pushed it out of his face on one side and stuck the hair pin into it until it was secured. When I was done, he looked at himself in the mirror.

"You look really handsome, Cami" I said, reassuring him "Let's go entertain some guests, yeah?"