Chapter six: You're like us?

An odd silence between the two families grew. All you could really hear was Adelita panting from introducing all of us.

"Um, you are new here, right?" Pepa said, breaking the silence.

"Oh, I used to live here when I was younger, I don't remember much" mama answered "We plan to move here!"

"Oh, that's wonderful! You will be happy here in Encanto" Julietta said "Oh, would you like to stay for dinner? I'm sure we have more than enough food"

"Yes! Thank you!" Tio Ario said without a second thought. He was probably starving.

"Great!" Julietta exclaimed softly.

"Camilo, Dolores, set the table" Pepa said sternly to her children.

"Si, mami" Camilo said, obediently. He was so confident before...He must be a momma's boy. I giggled at the thought. He must've noticed because he squinted at me after I did.

The two of them went off to set the table and Luisa was told to get chairs for us. My father offered to help her carry the chairs, not like she looked like she needed help though. Everyone else offered to help in some way and the Madrigals accepted reluctantly. They were very hospitable.

Eventually, everyone was called for dinner. Mi familia and I went to the dining table, now with extra chairs to accomodate us. Julietta and Mirabel carried in the food once everyone else was seated. Everything smelled delicious! We prayed and then dug in.

We passed bowls and plates around the table, letting everyone get however much they needed. I noticed Camilo get a lot more than he needed. Okay, maybe not every Madrigal is too hospitable. His mother, Pepa lightly smacked the back of his head when he grabbed to much. For a second, I thought I had saw him change into another person but I blinked and he was himself again. Probably just a trick of the light.

We finished our food and thanked the Madrigals for having us over. Just as we were about to leave, Mirabel, the girl with the green glasses, stopped us.

"Do you guys have anywhere to stay?" she asked, nervously. Why was everyone in this family acting so strangely around us?

"Oh, not yet but we will set up our house soon!" mi papa replied, not realizing how odd it must've sounded.

"Oh, well, you are all welcome to stay until you can...set up your house?" Mirabel said.

"We don't need that!" Adriana said "Setting up the house takes like three seconds, we just put the magic flower in the ground and-"

We all looked at Adriana. Her father, Tio Ario glared at her and Adelita smacked the back of her head.

"Oh, sorry..." Adriana said.

"Magic flower?" Dolores said, coming in from another room. How did she hear us?

"Um, I didn't mean like...Magic-Magic like I meant...Um..." Adriana was at a loss for words.

Adelita's wings had sprouted from her back, probably because of her nervousness.

"Ah! Um!" she exclaimed when she noticed them, she waved her arms hectically trying to get them to disappear again.

Soon, the Madrigals were entering the main area, staring at us and Adelita flailing her arms everywhere.

"Oh! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to, I swear!" Adriana said opening three portals around her head "I was just-"

"What is that?!" Julietta screamed, pointing at Adriana.

"No, no, no, no!" Tio Ario said, trying to calm his children.

Adelita's wings started flapping and she began floating upwards.

"Gah! No! Papa, help me!" Adelita yelled, not being able to control her wings. Tio Ario grabbed her leg before she could get too high.

Marcos started running around screaming, he was young and scared and this was proabbly just a coping mechanism or something.

"Marcos! Stop!" Miguel and Mama both said, running after Marcos.

Adelita was still up in the air and her father was having trouble trying to keep her grounded. Adriana was muttering apologies to herself and her mother was trying to pull her out of the state she was in. Miguel and my mother were running after Marcos. The poor Madrigals were staring at us, they'd probably never even seen magic before and now we were making a mess of everything!

"AHHHH!" Adelita screamed as Tio Ario let go of her leg, unable to keep her there anymore.

"I got it!" Isabella yelled, running underneath Adelita and making figs sprout from the ground, the plants grew and wrapped around Adelita's legs. Where did those come from?! Did she do that?!

Suddenly, a literal jaguar came in from upstairs and pounced on Marcos.

"Marcos!" Miguel screamed. Was the jaguar going to eat him?! Where did it even come from?!

"Parce! No, get off of him!" Antonio said, not seeming so shy anymore. He ran towards the jaguar, leaping onto it's back and leading it away from Marcos, just in time for Miguel to swoop in and pick Marcos up. Antonio has a pet jaguar?!

Eventually, Adriana's portals disappeared and her eyelids felt heavy. She collapsed on the ground.

"Oh dear, someone take her to the kitchen, I'll heal her!" Julietta said, slightly panicked. Was she a doctor or something? How was she going to heal Adriana? Why aren't they more freaked out about the literal magic that just occured in their home?!

"You guys are-" Camilo said, eyes blown wide "You're like us!"