Chapter eighty four: Linked arms

I gestured to the room with my hand and I watched as my closet turned into a mirror. I stepped in front of the mirror that the room had made for me and admired the outfit that Camilo had gotten for me.

It was a long sleeved, ivory blouse with a flared collar. On top of the blouse was a black vest that had golden buttons on it. The sleeves of the blouse were folded upward a bit since it was still a bit warm. I was wearing new pants that had the same dragonfly pattern as my other pants from Senor Adan. I wore it with black dance shoes that I had brought from the city.

My favourite part of the outfit was the extravagant black cape that was clipped to the vest by small magnets sewn into the vest's shoulder area. It was long and flowy and went down to my tailbone and when I moved, it swayed behind me. Mr. Valladares really had a talent for what he did and it really showed with the outfit that he had created for me, the cape was very showy but not in a way that made it look like it should be on a superhero. It was classy but still free enough to party in.

The look was topped off with these gorgeous earrings that Camilo had apparently bought for me separately from the outfit. They were long gold chains with translucent clay flowers dangling off the end of it. I also wore my twine necklace along with the earrings so the outfit looked more balanced.

I twirled once in front of the mirror, watching as the cape swung behind me gracefully. The clothes gave me confidence. I was excited, at my old school, we had school dances but they were always dull and served bad food. But Encanto was more vibrant and full of energy than the city that I used to live in so I assumed that would apply to school dances as well.

I gestured to the room to turn itself back to normal. After I saw the mirror turn back into my closet, I skipped towards the door. I opened it to find Mirabel leaning on the railing, waiting for me. She was wearing a baby blue dress that had what looked like a hundred layers of tulle. The dress was off the shoulder with huge puffy sleeves that were see through. The sleeves were covered in similar patterns and stitches on Mirabel's usual dress but they were made of a much thinner fabric, probably to not clash with the delicate tulle.

"Y/n!" Mirabel exclaimed with a gasp "You look amazing!"

"You do too, Mirabel!" I said, returning the compliment "Where did you get that dress? It's gorgeous!"

"Well...I uh-" Mirabel stuttered, "I made it myself!"

She gave me an awkward smile and I felt the smile on my own face grow.

"That's...amazing, Mirabel!" I exclaimed "You're really talented!"

Mirabel blushed and turned away, a shy smile one her face.

"Oh! Well...Thank you, Y/n" Mirabel said, quietly.

"C'mon, let's head downstairs and wait for Camilo" I said, making my way towards the stairs.

"Camilo?" Mirabel repeated "He already left! He told me to take you to school."

"He...Left?" I repeated.

My heart sank a little bit.

'Why would Camilo leave without telling me?' I thought 'Doesn't seem like him...'

I shook away the negative thoughts that were clouding my mind and made my way downstairs, Mirabel close behind me. She caught up to me and linked our arms, which caught me off guard, nearly causing me to fall forward.

"W-Woah-" Mirabel said, when the two of us nearly fell.

I resteadied myself and let out a nervous laugh, Mirabel joined in with a snort which she then covered her mouth for. I looked at her in surprise. I had never heard her laugh like that before. I began to laugh again and she joined in, forgetting about whatever insecurities she was thinking about.

My father was in the kitchen with Julieta, making dinner I think. He waved to Mirabel and I when we made it to the front door.

"Y/n! Mirabel! Don't be back too late!" my father reminded us as Mirabel opened the door.

"Yes, Papa!" I replied.

"Mirabel! Make sure to take pictures for souvenirs!" Julieta called.

"I will!" Mirabel replied.

The two of us laughed giddily before making our way out the door. Right outside the door, there was a small table with a lantern on it. There was a letter resting on the lantern and it was addressed to me.

"Y/n, it says it's for you!" Mirabel pointed out.

I picked up the letter and opened it. A small red ticket fell out. I picked it up and saw that it was the ticket that I needed to get into the dance. There was a note in the letter. I pulled it out, unfolded it and then read it in my mind.

'Dear Y/n, you're probably wondering why I left Casita ahead of you and didn't warn you about it beforehand. Well, to answer that question that is burning in your mind, it wasn't planned. It was a last minute decision that I made right after I had finished changing. I took one look at myself in one of the mirrors in my room and realized that I looked really good. So I decided it would be a good idea to leave ahead of everyone and give it a bit of suspense.

You and the rest of the gang are going to have to wait till you get to the dance to see my outfit. If you find me annoying for this, mission accomplished. If you find me incredibly charming and witty for this, also mission accomplished. I put the ticket in this letter so you could get in.

See you at the dance, Y/n. Your valentine, Camilo Madrigal.' I read despite its numerous spelling mistakes and smudgy handwriting.

You could easily tell that he was telling the truth about this being unplanned. His handwriting was actually quite good usually, it was just a bit messy in the letter because he was in a rush. His spelling always needed a bit of work though.

"Well, what does it say?" Mirabel asked, impatiently "Who is it from?"

"It's from your primo Camilo, Mirabel" I answered with a bit of laughter in my voice "He just wanted to declare that his outfit was so good that he had to leave some suspense in it. That's the reason he left before us."

"Of course, that's very Camilo of him," Mirabel said, rolling her eyes "He's very...theatrical."

"Trust me, I know," I said, laughing a bit.

"Well, c'mon, we don't want to be late" Mirabel said, reminding me that there was a certain time that we had to be there by.

"Right," I agreed.

I put the letter and the ticket in the right pocket of my new pants and linked arms with Mirabel again. Then the two of us laughed as we started to make our way to the dance.

---

Yeah, I'm not the best with clothing descriptions so here's a picture of what Y/n's outfit is supposed to look like lmao.

It's not a masterpiece of a drawing but you get the idea

It's not a masterpiece of a drawing but you get the idea. I just drew the body type that I'm most comfortable drawing (my body type lmao) so I apologize that's it's not very inclusive. But I know that the outfit would look hot as fuck on anyone so.

-Kolour