Chapter four: A big deal

As soon as we set our eyes on the gorgeous town, Adelita pushed through everyone and ran into a nearby shop.

"Adelita! Wait!" Tia Justine said, calling out to her daughter.

Adelita was never one to be reckless and just take off running for nothing. She had made her wings disappear. If she wasn't flying to it, she must be very excited for...whatever it was. Tia Justine had sped off after her. Miguel and I gave each other a look of confusion before following the two.

"Wait for us!" Miguel yelled.

We ran into the little shop. The minute we passed through the door, the sweet smell of bread and jam filled our noses.

"Oh, wow!" I exclaimed "This smells amazing!"

We saw Adelita admiring the pastries on display and Tia Justine standing at the door. Miguel went up to the counter and asked how much a few jelly filled pastries were. The young woman at the counter was around his age. I knew what was going to happen next. Before she could answer, Miguel took her hand in his and placed a soft kiss on the back of it.

The young woman's body language immedietly changed. She strightened her back and she pulled her hand away from Miguel, blushing profusely.

"I- um, you can have it for free! My father wouldn't notice a few missing pastries..." she replied, staring into Miguel's eyes.

"Oh, really?" Miguel said, making his voice deeper "Thank you, hermosa (beautiful)"

He winked at her and she sighed longingly. He waved his hand and she blinked back to normal. Miguel gave the jelly filled pastries to Adelita. She squealed and thanked him.

"No problem" he replied.

Adelita passed me one of the pastries while chewing on one already happily. She had a serious thing for sweets. Unfortunately, Miguel has a serious thing for scamming pastry girls with his gift.

"H-Hey! Wait!" the woman at the counter said "You didn't pay for that!"

"You said I could have them for free?" Miguel said, acting confused. He was a very good actor.

"I-I know but...I don't..." she said "Oh, whatever, just take them!"

"You shouldn't have done that, Miguel!" I said sternly.

"Lighten up, y/n" Miguel said "If it's that bad, don't eat the pastry!"

"Haha! Your father used to do that too, you know!" I heard Tia Justine whisper to him.

We all exited the store. Tia Justine and Miguel were giggling over stories of our papa paying with the illusion of coins. Adelita had saved one pastry, most likely for Adriana. The rest of the family had stayed put, admiring the beautiful town.

Eventually, mama led everyone into the town and we gained a few looks from the townspeople. We probably seemed foreign. Abuelo was hiding the flower in his coat. What if people didn't like people with magic here? What if they would call us witches and drive us out?

One of the townspeople, an older man with a gut came up to us.

"Hello! Are you new here?" the man asked, sort of loudly.

"Ah, hello! I used to live here when I was very young but I don't remember much" Mama replied.

"Oh! Well then, welcome back! You have a beautiful family" the man said "My name is Osvaldo."

"My name is Andrea L/n" my mother replied.

Senor Osvaldo looked at us and notices our luggage.

"Are you moving here?" Senor Osvaldo asked, turning back to my mother.

"Oh, yes we are! Although, we don't have a place to stay just yet..." mama replied.

"Ah, you will be happy here in Encanto! We are a thriving community" Senor Osvaldo said "If you have nowhere to stay, you should ask the Madrigals for help!"

I give Adriana, who is right next to me, a strange look of confusion. Senor Osvaldo must've picked up on it.

"The Madrigals live in that big house at the very end of the road, their door is always open to those in need" Senor Osvaldo said.

My mother nodded at him, greeted him goodbye and then kept walking forward.

"Andrea, we can just set the house down in an open space" mi papa said "We don't need to visit anyone..."

My mother turns to face my father.

"Nonsense! These Madrigals seem like a big deal! We should introduce ourselves before setting down our magical house" my mother said.

My father nodded. It did seem ridiculous to just lay down a magic house without notice. It was getting quite late and anyone that didn't follow Adelita into the bakery hadn't had much to eat all day. Maybe these Madrigals could show us the way to a resturaunt or something.

We made our way over to the big house. Even with the sun setting, it seemed to be brighter and much more filled with colour than any of the other houses around it. I was also bigger and much more secluded. These Madrigals sure did seem like a big deal...