Chapter eighteen: First day

I woke up to the sound of screaming. I opened my eyes and then blinked a few times so that they could adjust. I looked outside Isabella's room to see that the sound was coming from Marcos, kicking and screaming as Mama tried to put a unifrom on him.

'It's too early for this' I thought.

Miguel came up to me, already dressed in his uniform. The uniforms at this school were pretty basic. White collared shirt, one with a pocket for the boys and one without for the girls. Blue pants for boys and a blue skirt for girls.

"Oh, I was just gonna wake you up" Miguel said, buttoning the last button "Mama! Y/n's awake!"

I groaned and pulled the blanket over my head and tried to go back to sleep.

"Y/n, seriously, get up. We're all walking to school together" he said, yanking the blanket off "You're gonna get lost if you try to walk there alone."

I kept my eyes shut and shivered at the lack of the blanket.

"Are they planning to miss the first day?" I heard Adriana ask Miguel.

"I guess so, not my problem" he said as I heard his footsteps grow quieter.

"Y/n!" Adriana said "Up!"

Then, I was falling.

"Ahhh!" I screamed, opening my eyes and realizing I was in one of Adriana's shadow portals

Then I felt my body slam into the floor. It wasn't that painful, the fall was cusioned by flowers.

"Y/n's up!" Adriana called out.

I stood up and went to Isabella's bathroom so I could freshen up a bit. When I made my way back to the flower bed that I slept on last night, I found my uniform. Mama must've put it there for me to find.

I grabbed it, went to my room, changed, grabbed my bag and then booked it for the front door. I had taken too long trying to get my uniform to look nice. I realize that my twine necklace was missing but ran out of my room anyway. The others were already leaving. Casita helped me by turning the stairs into a slide. I regained my balance and then ran towards the others.

"Oh!" Mirabel exclaimed when I accidentally bumbed into her from behind.

"Oh, sorry Mirabel" I said between breaths.

"Haha! It's alright!" Mirabel said.

"Is your school curriculum difficult?" I asked Mirabel "I need to know what to expect."

"Not at all! Just pay attention in class and you should do well" Mirabel said.

"That's just for you, Mirabel!" Camilo said "School is a struggle!"

Camilo was wearing his uniform and I'd be lying if I said he didn't look good in it. I'm pretty sure Camilo could make anything look good. Though, I still wasn't used to seeing his torso, he wasn't wearing his ruana. I guess it was against the dress code.

"That's because you keep talking while your teacher is trying to teach you!" Mirabel said back.

Camilo pouted.

"Don't pout, Cami" I said "You look like a puppy that was just kicked."

"Hey! Only Antonio gets to call me that" Camilo said.

"Can't you make an exception? The nickname is cute!" I replied.

He thought for a minute, stroking his chin as he walked.

"Hm...Fine" he said "Only because I doubt you'd listen to me if I said no."

He was right, I would've still called him it.

"Alright then, Cami" I said.

Eventually, I saw the school up ahead. Miguel and Adriana had walked ahead of us. The school was colourful, like the rest of Encanto but it was a bit less energetic. Probably due to the fact that the majority of the people in the building were teenagers.

"Since we're all in the same grade, will we have classes together?" I asked.

"Yeah, what's your homeroom?" Mirabel asked.

I pulled out a piece of paper from my bag, it showed me all the classes I had this semester as well as my homeroom.

"Uhhh..." I said, scanning the paper "I have Senora Bolivar in room 112."

"Cool, you have homeroom with us!" Mirabel said, cheerfully.

"Great! You guys can help me catch up!" I said, Mirabel nodded in response.

"I won't be much help, I'm pretty behind myself" Camilo said, rubbing the back of his neck. Once we got close enough to the school, I saw a small crowd gathered in front of it.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Not sure..." Camilo replied.

When we got close enough, people turned to look at us.

"Oh my gosh, it's them!" I heard someone say.

Then we were surrounded, consumed into the middle of the crowd, where we saw Miguel and Adriaa as well. What is happening?

"Um! What's going on?!" I asked.

"Hah! People are probably just excited that some L/n's go to this school too!" Mirabel said.

"Camilo! You told me you had 'a few close friends' not that you were super freaking popular!" I yelled.

"Uhhh- Maybe I didn't wanna scare you away from school?" he yelled back.

I felt the crowd break up. I finally felt like I could breathe again. Then, a tall man with grey hair slicked back and a scary serious face, looked right at us. The kids who were surrounding us earlier had ran inside the building and into their classes.

"L/ns, Madrigals" the man said, loud voice booming "Go to your homerooms."

Mirabel grabbed my hand and we scurried away to homeroom. I saw Miguel and Adriana do the same. This was going to be a weird first day.