Chapter thirty eight: Upcoming event

It was my first day back at school since Marcos' birthday party. I was worried for three reasons.

1. It was a Thursday, which was a random day in the middle of the week. That meant that people will be extra surprised to see me.

2. I was definetly going to be super behind on my school work, I would be struggling for at least a week or two just to catch up.

And lastly, 3...

June might be there. Who knows what she would do to me the moment she saw me. I still had to wear a bandage over my ribs and waist, I don't think my body could take any more damage. Julieta wouldn't even be there to heal me if she tried to hurt me again. At least Camilo would be there with me.

Now that I think about it, where was Camilo? It was nearly time to go! There was no way that he was still asleep, right?

I headed upstairs quickly to check in Camilo's room. I knocked on the door and I heard a groan in response. No way, Camilo was not asleep with only ten minutes before we left. I opened the door to find that Camilo was in fact asleep with only ten minutes left before we left. I rushed to his bed and poked at him harshly.

"Camilo!" I whisper-shouted "Camilo, wake up!"

"Y/n, please let me sleep..." Camilo groaned.

"Camilo, we have school!" I said.

"I don't have to go..." Camilo replied, pulling his blanket over his head.

"Senora Pepa said that you did! She told you to wake up thirty minutes ago, don't you remember?" I asked.

He immedietly sat up and yelled.

"OH SHIT!" he exclaimed.

"Language, Camilo" I reminded.

"Ay, sorry Y/n" he apologized immedietly.

Then he yanked off his blanket and rushed into the bathroom he had in his room. A minute later, he came out, his hair wet, a towel around his waist and a toothbrush hanging from his mouth. Then he ran to his closet and brushed his teeth while he put on his uniform pants.

Once he was fully dressed, everyone walked out the door and Camilo and I had to run downstairs to catch up to them. We laughed as we panted from exhaustion. Once our laughter died down, he held his hands out towards me, a sweet silent offer. I took his hand and smiled at him. He looked away from me, a bashful expression on his face. Holding his hand always made my face a little warmer and my heart beat just a little faster.

Eventually, we got to school. We were late. On one hand, I was a bit frustrated that we were late because it was my frist day back and that I didn't want to be late on my first day back. But on the other hand, I was happy that there wasn't a crowd of students in front of the building to witness me coming back for the first time in more than a week and to see Camilo and I holding hands.

Mirabel, Camilo and I made our way to our homeroom. We all apologized for being late and were told to take our seats. My eyes met Amelia's and she smiled brightly at me. I gave her a small smile in response.

Then I spotted June, her eyes were dark, a terrifying bitterness expressed clearly on her face. I felt my heart beat faster and I felt sweat bead on the tip of my nose. I swallowed as I watched her eyes scan my body up and down. Eventually, I noticed that her eyes widened and she gritted her teeth as she fixated on one spot. My left hand. The hand that was holding Camilo's.

I immedietly withdrew my hand from Camilo's. Camilo noticed and gave me a sad and surprised look when I did. I couldn't bear to look at him when he was sad because of me. I realized that we were still standing in front of the class. I quickly scurried to my desk and took my seat.

Ruben and Emilio waved and smiled at me, I did just the same back to them. Then class started and I turned my attention to the teacher. I could feel June's eyes on me but I tried to ignore it.

Then Senora Bolivar began telling us about all of the uncoming events. It was mostly boring things like the optional science fair, a few upcoming projects but one of the events caught everyone's attention. It caused students to cheer and whisper amongst themselves about crushes and dance moves.

The upcoming event was a Dia de San Valentin dance.

------

Okay, just for some clarification:

Yes, it is currently early september in this story, so you might be asking why there is a Valentine's day dance coming up. Well, fun fact for you, Valentine's day is celebrated on September 17th in Colombia, which is where Encanto takes place. So yeah.

Yeah, not much else to say so bye

-Kolour