Chapter thirty nine: Dark Hallway

The dance was to take place right on Valentine's day. You would have to pay for a ticket if you wished to attend. The dance would start at 6PM and end at 8PM. The instructions were that you were supposed to go to school at around 5:45 PM and give your ticket to one of the teacher's chaperoning then about ten minutes later, the teachers would lead us from the smelly gym to where the dance was actually taking place.

Mrs. Bolivar said that we could have free time for the rest of the class, probably because she couln't get us to calm downn about the dance. Camilo and I went over to where the rest of his friends were sitting. I was a little afraid that June would be there but luckily, she wasn't. In fact, I don't think she was in the classroom at all.

"Omg, Y/n!" Amelia said, running up to hug me.

"Hey, Amelia" I replied, hugging her back "Watch the wound."

"Oh, right! Sorry" she said, backing off of me.

"Glad to see that you're back, Y/n!" Emilio said, giving me a soft smile.

"Yeah, we missed you" Ruben said "Camilo missed you wayyy more though."

I giggled at the thought and Camilo glared at Ruben playfully.

"Uh...If you don't mind me asking" I began "How is it that June isn't suspended or something?"

Amelia groaned.

"Ugh, I know right?" Amelia agreed.

"We explained the situation to Principal Aragonez and he said he would look into it" Emilio explained "But so far, he hasn't done anything."

"It's probably because June's dad is rich as hell and donated a lot of money to the school" Ruben sighed.

"She should be thrown in jail..." Camilo muttered under his breath.

My eyes widened in shock when I heard Camilo say that, it was so out of character for him. I looked to the others to see if they had similar reactions but they were chatting with each other. I don't even think they heard.

"Well, even if the teachers aren't doing anything about it" Emilio said "The students are. June sits alone during lunch and nobody talks to her anymore."

"Yeah, during free times like this, she just runs and hides in the bathrooms" Ruben said, snickering.

"Ugh, let's stop talking about June!" Amelia said, to my relief "Let's talk about the dance!"

"Ugh, I need to get two new outfits for next week then!" Ruben groaned "One for Marcos' gift ceremony and one for the damn dance!"

"Oh, right! Marcos' gift ceremony is just a day or two before the dance!" Amelia said "Marcos is your little brother, right Y/n?"

I nodded.

"Who are you hoping asks you to the dance Ames?" Emilio asked his sister.

"Ew, never call me that again" Amelia commanded "And nobody, I'd rather just go with friends."

"Really? You always have a date to these things" Emilio said.

"Well, yeah but I thought I should take a break from that stuff this year" Amelia said "Maybe you can be the one to get a date this time, huh?"

Amelia nudged her brother as she said that. The words caused Emilio to let out a bit of nervous laughter.

"Haha...No, I-I don't think anyone is gonna ask me anyway..." Emilo said, looking at his shoes.

"Is there anyone you want to ask you, Emilio?" Amelia teased.

Emilio glanced in Ruben's general direction just for a moment. I don't think anyone else noticed but I definetly did.

"No! No one! That's...weird" Emilio denied.

"Mhmmm..." Amelia said sarcastically.

"What about you, Y/n?" Ruben asked, turning to me.

I smiled and shook my head.

"Nah, I'm not really into Valentine's day stuff" I said "Besides, I'm pretty new here, I doubt anyone will ask."

"Hey, don't say that! You're a catch!" Ruben joked.

I laughed becuase the way Ruben said it reminded me of my Tia Justine.

"You could always just go with me" Camilo said, abruptly.

Everyone turned to him. I gave him a blank look, not knowing what to do with the words he just said.

"I-I mean as a friend!" Camilo said, realizing how it must've sounded "As friends! Like, we could all just go as friends!"

"Oh! Okay, that makes sense" Amelia said.

"Thank god, I was just gonna say that would've been a pretty lame way to ask someone to the dance" Emilio said, bluntly.

Camilo laughed. I had to admit, a small part of me wanted Camilo to actually ask me to the dance as a date. I wasn't sure whether or not I liked him but going with Camilo seemed fun!

We all chatted a little more about the dance, what we'd wear and how we were going to convince Emilio to dance again. Then the bell rang and it was time for me to go to my next class. I grabbed my bag from next to my desk and then waved goodbye to the others in the hallway before heading to my locker.

That's when I spotted Mirabel talking to June in the dark hallway near the senior bathrooms.