Chapter one hundred and nine: Promise

We were sitting in my room and we were ironing out the time and day for when we were going to go on our date. I had made my room give me a bigger bed, big enough for the both of us to be able to relax on it. I was laying on my stomach and my body was propped up on my elbows so my chest wasn't flat on the bed. Camilo was simply sitting with his legs crossed on the bed, with his shoes kicked off, of course.

We decided that we were going to go on the date this Saturday. Camilo told me to just meet him at the bottom of the stairs and he would take me to wherever the date was going to be.

"So..." I began.

"Hm?" Camilo hummed in response "So what?"

"So are you going to give me any hints of what we're going to be doing on this date?" I asked, nudging him with my arm.

He thought for a moment, stroking his chin for dramatic fashion.

"Well..." Camilo began "I should probably tell you that you should probably wear a sweater and maybe wear a sun hat too."

I thought for a moment. I couldn't really think of something specific that would require those things.

"Hey, don't think about it too much," Camilo said, snapping me out of my own mind. "If you figure it out, you'll ruin the surprise."

"Phhht-" I sputtered "Alright then, Cami."

He gave me a sweet smile and I smiled back at him. I shifted on the bed so that I could sit up. Then Camilo gently took my hand in his and raised my hand to his lips, placing a soft kiss on my palm.

"Thank you" Camilo said softly "Thank you for letting me take you out on a date."

I felt my face warm up. He let go of my hand and rearranged the pillows on the bed so that he could lean against them. I moved so that I could sit next to him.

"Do you wanna watch TV?" I asked.

"Oh, well..." Camilo said sheepishly "Mami doesn't really like me watching TV. We don't even have a TV in Casita!"

"Ohhh, that explains why there isn't a TV in this house" I noted "Well, I can just ask the room to give me one for a bit and if Senora Pepa checks on us, I'll make the TV go away."

"Hmm..." Camilo hummed "Okay!"

I waved my hand as I silently asked the room for a TV to appear. The wooden floor boards in front of me grew and morphed into a TV. Unfortunately, I couldn't ask for a remote of any sort so I had to get up from the bed and control the TV manually with the buttons and dials on it.

"So what do you wanna watch?" I asked "I think it's got a few channels, we can watch in Spanish or in English, whatever you feel like."

"Uhhh..." Camilo said "I don't know a lot of shows and stuff, you pick something."

"Do you have a genre that you like?" I asked, moving towards the TV to adjust the channels.

"Oh!" Camilo exclaimed "Cartoons! I like cartoons!"

I laughed a little at his excitement. But then he pouted, which made me laugh a little harder.

"What? What's wrong with cartoons?" Camilo asked in a huff.

"Nothing!" I said "It's just...quite cute that you're still into cartoons."

"Yeah, yeah, they're for little kids or whatever" Camilo said "But I think it's cool! We have a miracle but the people that make cartoons have a whole different kind of magic."

"How so?" I asked, amused by his childish excitement.

"They can make pictures move! I'm sure it must take a lot of time to do" Camilo said "And the art is always so good too! Much better than what I can draw and-"

Then he cut himself off and sunk back into the pillows a bit.

"I'm uh, I'm rambling again, aren't I?" he asked "Sorry about that, I just get excited about a lot of things."

I stopped adjusting the dails and turned to look at him.

"No, don't do that" I said "I enjoy listening to you, don't feel like you talking is some kind of burden on me.

He smiled softly and his eyes lit up again. I really loved when he looked at me like that.

"Thanks, Y/n" Camilo said "I like listening to you talk too."

I smiled at him before returning to finding one of the cartoon channels. Eventually, I found the one that I was looking for and stepped away from the TV. I sat next to Camilo and we watched the cartoon together.

We were watching this cartoon about a tom cat chasing this poor little brown mouse. The cat tried to capture the mouse with traps and sometimes plain brute force but the mouse always bested him. The cartoon was called "Timothy and Jeremy" or something like that, I think.

Suddenly, Camilo moved towards me so that his head could lay on my shoulder. I froze up for a bit.

"Is this okay?" he asked, already starting to get off of the

"No, stay" I said, a bit too eagerly "I like it."

He smiled and relaxed back onto my shoulder. Then the episode of the cartoon ended and Camilo groaned as a different cartoon appeared on the screen.

"I don't like this one" Camilo said "Could you switch channels?"

I nodded and stood up from the bed. I crouched in front of the TV and started fiddling with the dails.

"What else do you wanna watch?" I asked.

"Hmm..." Camilo hummed as he thought "Well, I don't know if this is really a genre but I like watching shows that show a lot of different places around the world!"

"Oh really?" I asked "How come?"

"Well, I'm not really sure" Camilo said "I guess I just like seeing the places outside of the Encanto. It's like one of the very few ways that I can see the world."

"How come you don't just...See it for yourself?" I asked.

Camilo sat up and his face got a bit serious.

"I just...I can't do that. I have responsibilities! I'm a Madrigal, and I was given a gift to help the Encanto. I can't just leave!" Camilo answered "And...I guess I'm a little scared too. The Encanto is all I've ever known. This life is all I've ever known and...I feel like if I did leave to see the world, I wouldn't know what to do."

"I would feel so alone..." Camilo added quietly.

My face softened.

"Hey, it's not so scary out there, you know?" I said, trying to cheer him up. "It's not as great as the shows on TV but it's not as scary as you think either."

There was silence for a moment. Camilo was deep in thought.

"Why don't you just come with me?" Camilo asked.

"Huh?" I responded.

"I want to see the world, I want to try new things and see new places!" Camilo exclaimed "But I'm afraid of how lonely I would feel. But if you came with me...I wouldn't feel so lonely!"

"Camilo, are you asking me if I can go with you if you ever do decide to leave?" I asked.

"Well, yeah!" Camilo said "I mean, I probably won't ever build up the courage to actually do it but...If I do, I want to do it with you."

I smiled and held out my pinky.

"Sure!" I said "Here, I'll promise."

He did his side of the pinky promise and smiled back at me.

"Promise" he said softly.

-----

The whole love triangle thing has been resolved if anyone's wondering. Not the "Hugo, Camilo, Y/n" one I meant the one that I was stuck in lol.

-Kolour