Chapter eighty six: Where is he?

A bunch of people started coming up to Miguel and surrounding him. Some of them were holding letters and flowers and others were straight up professing their love for him right there on the spot. Miguel, frustrated and overwhelmed, managed to shimmy away from the crowd, giving Adriana time to surround the crowd in portals.

"Hey! What's going on?" I heard one person say.

"It's Adriana! She's using her gift!" said another.

All of the people in the gym were staring at us and the crowd that were stuck in a circle made out of Adriana's portals. The sound of people whispering about what was going on and the shouts from the people trapped overlapped, filling the room with an annoying sound of chaos.

"Everyone quiet!" Adriana yelled, her voice cutting through the noise like a knife.

Everyone quieted down and stared at Adriana. Adriana took a deep breath. I was sure that she had gotten a huge headache from having all of those portals open at the same time. She turned to Miguel.

"Go Miguel" she told him, "Say it, it's hard to keep these portals up."

Miguel sighed before clearing his throat.

"Ahem...Uh, well..." Miguel began "You see, the reason that I had Adriana trap all of you is because...Well, I know you guys mean well and stuff but you've been kind of invading my personal space a lot. Especially today."

Miguel paused for a moment to see if anyone would say anything. When nobody objected, he continued.

"I know that it's valentine's day and that a lot of you might...have feelings for me! But you've been taking it way too far. I could barely get to my classes on time today because I was getting stopped in the middle of the hallway by you guys every other second..." Miguel continued "I just...Okay, I'm just gonna say it."

"You better, my head is killing me right now" I heard Adriana mutter under her breath.

"I am currently in a relationship" Miguel stated "I am sorry but I cannot return any of you guys' feelings. I have a boyfriend and I love him very much. I am sure that you are all very nice people but now that you know that I am taken, I hope that you can leave me alone."

It was silent for a moment. Deadly silent. Not even a whisper of gossip or the sound of someone shifting uncomfortably, nothing. Nobody made a sound. Until Adriana groaned in frustration.

"Ugh, fuck it!" Adriana exclaimed.

Her hands dropped to her sides and the portals disappeared. She took a deep breath and steadied herself. Her gift always gave her terrible vitiligo when she used it too much but at least she didn't collapse.

"Are you okay?" Miguel asked, rushing to Adriana's side.

"I'm fine, Miguel" she answered, holding her head "Just...dizzy."

Miguel rubbed her back to try and soothe her. As much as Miguel tried to hide it, he cared about us. I found his concern for Adriana sweet.

He looked up towards the crowd of people that were once trapped by the portals. Despite the portals being gone, none of them had moved. They were probably frozen in shock. MIguel made eye contact with a few of them but didn't say anything. He had already said everything that needed to be said. A few of them gave him sad smiles and nodded at him. Miguel smiled back in response.

No wonder it was called "Operation mass heartbreak." Half of the student body had just been rejected all at the same time. I know it was for a good reason though. Some of these kids were borderline harassing Miguel and I'm happy that some of them agreed to leave him alone.

"Everyone line up!" said Senora Bolivar, my homeroom teacher "If you're in grade eight to ten, you line up with me! If you're in grade eleven or twelve, you line up with Principal Aragonez!"

Everyone followed her instructions, lining up with our respective grades. Then Principal Aragonez cleared his throat.

"Ahem! We will now be walking to where the dance is actually taking place!" he said, his booming voice filling the room "Stay in your line until we get there! If some of you get lost, we are not responsible for that!"

"Where's Camilo?" Mirabel asked "Why hasn't he met up with us yet?"

I looked around in the line but I couldn't find him.

"Don't worry, he's probably just somewhere in the back of the line" I assured Mirabel "He's just being theatrical as usual."

Mirabel gave me a soft smile, her nerves seemed to have calmed down. I smiled back at her to reassure her. Then the line started moving and Mirabel, Adriana and I followed it.

"Where do you think the dance is gonna take place?" Mirabel asked.

"Honestly, I don't really care as long as it isn't this smelly gym," Adriana replied.

Mirabel and I laughed at that and agreed.

"Put your masks on," Senora Bolivar said as we exited the gym through the backdoor.

Everyone except me put their masks on. I was about to follow her instructions but then I realised that I didn't have a mask. Camilo got one for me but he never gave it to me. He didn't even let me see it.

'Ugh, where is he?' I asked in my mind.

-----

Where do you guys think the dance is going to take place? Guess in the comments for my entertainment.

-Kolour