Chapter two: Moving?

I was deep asleep in my bed, the sun shining over my blanket through the window when mi mama called everyone to go downstairs. I groaned but got up and got dressed anyway. When I opened the door to my room, I saw Miguel standing there, as if he was just about to knock.

"Ah, you're up" he said in a monotone voice "I was just going to say that mama called us down."

"I know, Miguel" I replied, equally monotone "I heard."

The both of us made our way downstairs. Mama was handing Marcos a plate of pancakes and Papa was making some more for me and Miguel.

"Y/n, Miguel" my mother says sternly.

I immedietly straightened up and I notice Miguel taking in a harsh breath.

"Sit" she continues.

Miguel an I both take a seat across from my mother. I sat between Marcos and Miguel.

'We must've done something wrong...' I think.

"I got a letter from Miguel's school..." my mother says as she takes a seat across from us. My father hands me and Miguel pancakes before taking a seat next to her.

Miguel titls his head downward.

"I'm sorry. I didn't think that I would get caught..." Miguel began, tears welling up in his eyes.

"Miguel, it's not your fault. You using your gift wasn't the part that got you in trouble" my mother says.

"What? Then why..." Miguel said before trailing off "Oh."

'What? What's happening? What did Miguel do???' I thought.

"This is bullshit!" Miguel yells, slamming hands against the table as he stood up "I worked so hard to get into that school! I got straight A's, I never broke a rule!"

He sat on the couch in the living room right next to the dining area.

"But I kiss ONE boy. ONE! And I'm expelled!" Miguel screamed, sitting hunched over and crying into his hand.

Suddenly, I caught on as to what had happened. Miguel had came out to us a month ago, it's not like I didn't know but still, a very big step for him. From what I understood, he had kissed a boy at his school and maybe someone caught them. He had worked so hard to get into that private school...

My mother sat next to him on the couch, rubbing his back. I decided not to get involved, it was a sensitive subject. Just as I had dropped my plate in the sink and was about to make my way up to my room, my father spoke.

"Since Miguel has no other schools that he can go to and he still needs to get a highschool education..." he began "We will be moving."

Miguel, Marcos and I looked towards my father.

"Moving?!" the three of us said, almost in unison.

"Wh- No! I can find another school, I'm sure of it!" Miguel protested.

"No, me and your mama have checked. There are only so many schools in this small city..." My father said.

"What about Abuelo?" I asked, wondering whether or not they had included Abuelo when making this decision.

"He agrees with us that Miguel needs to finish his high school education. He is already in his final year, he should finish it" My father replies calmly.

"But what about my brithday?" Marcos chips in "Will I not get a party? What about my gift ceremony?"

"Oh, don't worry, mijo! You will get a birthday party and a gift ceremony but I think it will be...A bit different than the last ones" My mother told Marcos.

My father turns to Marcos.

"And don't worry about your cousins, they will come with us" my father says, ruffling Marcos' hair.

Marcos laughs and my father tickles his neck. My mother gives a sad smile to me and turns her attention back to comforting Miguel. All I could think about was how sudden this all was. We were moving? Miguel got expelled for the third time? Abuelo agrees with this decision?

"What about the miracle?" I asked "What about our house?"

You see, our house was magical. It moved as if it had a life of it's own. We could talk to it and it would understand. It couldn't talk, it didn't have a mouth but it comunicated in it's own way. By opening and closeing doors, tilting shelves and turning lights to point at things.

"We will bring the flower with us" My father replied "The house will follow the magic."

Miguel made a confused face and I'm pretty sur ethat I did as well.

"What?" Miguel asked.

"You will see when we move" my father said, calmly.

There was an awkward silence that followed, the only thing you could really hear were the birds chirping outside as well as Marcos' utensils scraping against his plate as he stuggled to pick up the last piece of his pancake.

"So...Where are we going?" I asked.

Just then, I heard my Abuelo walking downstairs, his footsteps heavy.

"We are going to where your mother lived before she moved when she was four" my Abuelo replied "We are going to Encanto."

-----------

Hey! It's me again. Yeah, this story is starting off a little slow but don't worry it'll get more interesting as we go on, I promise.

I hope you're enjoying it so far though!

-Kolour