Chapter sixty two: The door

Everything was ready as the first family walked up to Casita. Camilo greeted them with energetic high fives and hugs a bit in front of me and I smiled and welcomed them as they walked through the doors.

"Welcome! You guys are the first ones here!" I said.

"Oh, really?" the man said "I hope we aren't too early."

"Nope! Right on time, actually" I replied, cheerfully.

The family walked inside. Then I noticed that Camilo was still in his ruana when he's supposed to be wearing his new clothes.

"Cami!" I exclaimed "Did you forget to change?"

Camilo looked down at his clothes then looked at the next few people walking up to Casita.

"Shoot!" Camilo exclaimed "Uhhh, could you greet that next batch of people while I change?"

I nodded at him and he dashed back inside. Then the next batch of people went inside after I greeted them. Camilo ran back outside of Casita, now in his new clothes from Senor Adan. Camilo and I could see more people walking up to Casita from town.

Eventually, the sun set and the last few people walked in and everyone in town was inside, Ruben, Amelia and Emilio included. Camilo and I could finally go inside and join the festivities. We saw little kids holding small sparklers and people dancing and eating food.

"Puedo tener este baile? (May I have this dance?)" Camilo asked.

Camilo took my hand and pulled me to the dance floor.

We started to dance, it wasn't a battle like last time, just harmless fun. I was enjoying myself, swaying and dancing to the music that Augustin was playing on the piano. The area in the middle of the house didn't have a roof so everyone was dancing and celebrating underneath the stars. Dolores saw Camilo and I dancing together and danced her way over to us, swaying her skirt.

"Is this another dance battle?" Dolores asked, giving me a sly smile.

"Nah, we're just dancing together this time," Camilo answered.

I was about to say something but then I felt a hand on my shoulder, I turned around to see Miguel, smiling softly.

"C'mon, we need to hype up Marcos before the ceremony," Miguel said.

"Oh, right" I exclaimed "It's almost time!"

I looked back towards Camilo and Dolores.

"Go! Mirabel just said that it's nearly time to start" Dolores said, smiling at me.

I smiled and nodded before beginning to walk towards the area closed off by a red curtain. Camilo grabbed my hand before I could get too far. I turned my head to look at him.

"Camilo, we need to go," Miguel said.

Camilo's eyebrows were furrowed, he looked frustrated. I knew that he understood that we needed to go but I guess he didn't feel safe leaving my side right now.

"I-I know that you can handle yourself but I'm just-" Camilo told me, ignoring what Miguel said "I'm just scared that June will do something to you and next time, you won't wake up."

I saw Dolores' and Miguel's face soften from the corner of my eye. I could tell that Camilo was fighting back the urge to shapeshift. I gripped his hand tighter and smiled at him.

"You can come with us then!" I exclaimed "Can't he?"

Miguel thought for a moment.

"Fine, I guess it doesn't really matter as long as his immediate family is there," Miguel replied before he started walking towards the red curtain.

I followed Miguel, this time with Camilo. Miguel pushed back the curtain and let Camilo and I through. I saw Marcos in a little white suit and smiling nervously. Mi mama was wiping tears off of her face and my father was rubbing her back to comfort her.

"Mi bebé está creciendo tan rápido! (My baby is growing up so fast!)" my mother said through sniffs.

"Mama, he's only five," Miguel said.

Then my father noticed that Camilo was here too.

"Oh! Camilo's here in case June tries something" I explained, before my father could kick him out "He's playing bodyguard right now."

Camilo waved awkwardly at my father, as if all of us haven't been living under the same room for a little less than a month. Papa nodded at Camilo and turned his attention back to Marcos.

"You'll do great, Marcos," Miguel said.

Marcos hugged Miguel's legs and Miguel returned the favour by ruffling his hair. We heard the music outside die down. Then Dolores peeked her head through the side of the curtains.

"Mirabel says it's time" Dolores whispered.

Everyone left the curtained-off area, leaving only Marcos behind the curtain. The crowd had split down the middle, creating a walkway for Marcos to go through. Mama and Papa made their way upstairs to stand beside Mirabel, who was standing next to the glowing door, waiting for Marcos. She was holding our miracle flower.

The curtains opened and Casita turned to lamps to face Marcos, acting like a spotlight. Camilo and I were still holding hands. Marcos walked through the walkway that we created for him and the crowd closed behind him. I was so happy to see him getting his gift, it was one of the most important things that could ever happen to one of the L/ns. Marcos finally makes his way up the stairs, Camilo and I as well as the rest of the Madrigals do the same, right behind him.

Eventually, he made his way to the door.