Chapter one hundred and eight: This could be interesting

Finally, the school day was over. I was on my way to my locker when Camilo and Mirabel ran up to me, Mirabel walked on my right and Camilo walked on my left.

"Hey Y/n!" Mirabel said, smiling brightly.

"Hello Mirabel, hello Camilo" I replied "Just give me a few minutes to put a few things in my locker then we can start walking home, okay?"

"Oh, I've actually got sewing club in like five minutes so I can't walk home to you guys" MIrabel said with an apologetic nod "But I'll see you guys back at Casita, alright?"

Both Camilo and I nodded at her before she turned around and went in the other direction, where the sewing club meeting was being held. We made it to my locker, I tucked a few loose papers into my binder and shoved my geography textbook into my bag along with my homework. I slammed the locker door and then made Camilo and I made our way to the front door of the school.

Just before we left, I saw Hugo in the corner of my eye. He was looking right at me. It seemed like he wanted to go up to me but Rafael put a hand on Hugo's shoulder and tugged him in the direction of their house.

"C'mon dude, you've gotta explain yourself to mom" I heard Rafael say.

Hugo and I made eye contact and Hugo gave me an awkward wave. I returned it before he turned towards his brother and began walking home with him.

"What'cha looking at?" Camilo asked.

"Just waving goodbye to Hugo" I replied.

Camilo turned around and put his hand over his eyes to try peering through the sun.

"Hugo!" Camilo yelled.

Hugo turned around to see who had called his name just to see Camilo waving at him. Hugo looked surprised to see that it was Camilo who had called him but waved back anyway. Once the wave was returned, Camilo turned back around and we began walking towards Casita again.

"Phht-" I sputtered "What was that for?"

"He's being nice to me" Camilo replied "So I'll be nice to him."

"I suppose it's only fair," I said with a slight laugh in my voice.

Camilo smiled at me before brushing his hand against mine. I took that as an offer to hold his hand and I took his hand in mine. We walked for a while like that, hand in hand, talking about things that had happened at school. Camilo was actually really into gossip, I suppose it was something that ran in the family.

Suddenly, Camilo stopped. I looked back at him and tilted my head.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"No, I just..." Camilo began "I want to ask you something but I don't want to say it too close to Casita."

"Are you afraid that Dolores will hear?" I ask with a soft chuckle "C'mon Camilo, you of all people should know that she can hear you no matter where you are in Encanto."

"No, not when she's in her room!" Camilo says in a matter-of-factly type of tone "When she's in her room, her gift is suppressed a lot so that she can sleep and she should be taking her nap right about now."

"Phhht, alright then" I said "So what were you going to ask me?"

"Oh, right" Camilo replied "So this is kind of abrupt but...Okay well, we've gone on a 'friend date' right?"

"Right," I answered hesitantly.

'What is this about?' I wondered in my mind.

"Well, I was just wondering if..." Camilo said "Do you think you'd be open to a real date?"

I stayed quiet for a moment, staring at him. He started fidgeting with the hem of his ruana and looking down at his shoes to avoid eye contact.

"Okay, I know that wasn't the most romantic way to ask someone out but if you say yes, I promise I'll make up for it on the date" Camilo explained "Of course, you don't have to say yes, I know that we haven't really had the conversation about 'us' and all that but-"

"You're rambling again, Cami," I said, laughing a little bit.

"Sorry, sorry" Camilo said, the palm of his hand resting on the back of his neck "I'm just nervous, I guess."

"Wow, the great Camilo Madrigal, nervous?" I teased.

"I know I'm amazing but I'm still allowed to have feelings," Camilo replied.

"I know, Camilo" I said "I'm just joking, don't worry."

Camilo let out that sweet laugh of his again. It helped to ease the tension between us.

"Also, to answer your question" I began "I would love to."

I looked at Camilo and he was smiling brightly at me and he was practically shaking with excitement. The only other time that I had seen him this happy was when I agreed to be his valentine. He took both of my hands in his and pulled them close to his chest before placing a short kiss on the palm of my left hand.

"I promise you won't regret it, mi vida (my life)" Camilo said softly.

"I know I won't, Cami," I replied.

"Alright, let's go home. We can decide the details and stuff later" Camilo said "Let's hope Dolores didn't wake up during that."

I laughed at that. He let go of my left hand before pulling me forward towards Casita by my right. Eventually, we made it to Casita and I put my hands on my knees and panted.

"You have got to work on your cardio," Camilo said jokingly.

"Haha" I said humourlessly before opening the door to Casita.

Camilo walked me to my room and made sure that I got there safely. I'm not sure why he does it but I appreciate the sentiment. He took my hand and gave me one last kiss on the back of it before waving and going to his own room.

'A date with Camilo Madrigal' I thought to myself 'This could be interesting.'