Chapter three: Here we are!

We had finally packed and were ready to go. I was holding my bags, Miguel was holding his and so on, so forth. Abuelo had my father carry his luggage as he was carefully holding the flower. The miracle of our familia.

I was still wondering how our house was supposed to "Follow the magic" but I trusted my father's word and decided not to ask about it. As soon as we stepped out of the house, we were greeted by our cousins, my tio and tia.

"Tio Ario! Tia Justine!" Marcos said excitedly.

"Marcos!" my Tia Justine said, picking him up "A-Ah, you are getting heavy, Marcos!"

She sets him back down and he goes back to holding mama's hand. I wave at Adriana, she waves back.

"You're doing it again" she said, gesturing towards my body.

I looked down to see that my body had changed into that of Adriana's girlfriend. I held my breath and shut my eyes tight for a moment an when I opened them, I was back to being myself.

"You're getting better at that" Adelita said, patting my head.

"I agree, I almost thought it was her!" Adrian said, nodding "You weren't acting like her though, mi novia would never stand like that."

"What's wrong with the way I stand?" I asked, jokingly.

"Everything" Miguel chipped in.

"Shush" I said, rolling my eyes at him.

Tio Ario had called all us kids to start following them. As we walked, me an Adriana talked and Miguel and Adelita walked ahead of us in silence.

"So how are you going to talk to your girlfriend?" I asked.

"Ah, don't worry, we will send letters to each other. Obviously, I have to send the first one so she can figure out where we are staying" Adriana replies.

"Oh, Miguel should do that too" I said teasingly, wiggling my eyebrows "With his boyfriend~"

"Y/n! Please!" he said, clearly embarassed.

"Oh yeah, you have a boyfriend now, don't you?" Adelita asked, smugly.

"What's his name?" Adriana asked.

"...Carlos" Miguel answered.

He put the hood of his jacket on and pulled it over his eyes in embarassment.

"Ooh, he sounds cute~" Tia Justine said, turning back to look at us.

"Tia..." Miguel whined "Please, no more questions!"

Then we all shut up. For a while. Maybe like five minutes later we were asking about Carlos again. Despite how reluctant he was, Miguel eventually told us a bit more about him. We found out that Carlos was popular and had a girlfriend when they had first met.

Carlos was the only one that was actually acting welcomingly to Miguel. Miguel thought that Carlos was straight an that he had no chance with him, he was ready to be his friend, nothing else. Turns out, Carlos' girlfriend cheated on him. Miguel comforted him and about a month later, confessed their feelings. The kiss that someone had caught was Miguel's first. He was so sad that the beautiful moment was ruined.

We walked for days, rested for a bit in a small village. Then mama told Adelita to fly up over the trees and see if she could see a river. She floated gracefully back down and told us that she saw one up ahead, in front of a mountain range. That made my mother smile fondly.

Then we made our way all the way to a shimmering river. The river was surrounded by pink wildflowers which had attracted hundreds of yellow butterflies. The butterflies almost looked like they were glowing. The rushing water was a calming sound.

Adelita cupped some of the water in her hand and splashed onto her giant wings. She then got up, stretched her arms and her wings stretched along with her. The sun caught them just right and it almost looked like her wings were radiating light on their own.

My mother drank a bit of water from the river, which Miguel said not to do since it might be dirty.

"The water in this river has always been pure" my mother told him.

My mother stood up and turned towards the family. Then she looked longingly to the forest across the river, she then looked upwards towards the mountains.

"Just across the river" she said, pointing towards the forest.

Adelita gracefully flew acrossed the river as to not wet her dress. Adriana simply teleported to the other side using one of her shadow portals. Tio Ario levitated everyone over using his gift one by one, too much weight might be too much for him.

Once we were all safely across, perfectly dry. Well, except for Marcos, he had been splashing around in the water. Then, we started pushing through the bushes in the forest. Miguel got scared when a leaf had brushed against his neck, he swore it was a deadly spider!

Then, up ahead, there was a light, the end of the forest that we were pushing through. My mother pushed away the final bush and smiled brightly at what she saw. We looked forward to see a beautiful town, bursting with colour and life.

"Encanto..." My mother whispered to herself.