Chapter twelve: You used to?

When I went outside, I saw everyone chatting, nobody had touched their food yet. Probably because not everyone was here yet. I noticed that there were only two seats left and they were right next to each other.

I looked to Mirabel and Dolores who were giggling away. They noticed me looking and Mirabel winked at me, fixing her glasses. I rolled my eyes as I took the seat one seat away from Pepa. I assumed Camilo would want to sit next to his mother.

Camilo finally got outside and stood there for a moment. Probably noticing that the only seat was next to me. He glared at Dolores for a moment before taking a seat. He smiled at me as he did and I did the same back. His smile was so bright, I couldn't help but admire it.

We ate our food and then we discussed who would be doing what today. Pepa was going to water the crops with her rain, Augustine was going to be chopping firewood, Julietta was going to run her stand, and Bruno was going to be giving out free visions to whoever he thought needed them. Everyone else was told to help whoever needed it or clean the house.

I helped clean up the table, so did Camilo.

"Hey, y/n um...I'm sorry about this morning" he said "Dolores usually wakes me up so..."

"Phhht! It's fine Camilo, I found it funny" I said.

"Hm, that's good to hear, I was worried you would think I was weird or something" he said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Oh, could you grab Antonio's plate, please?" I asked.

"Oh, sure" he said, picking up said plate "Sooo, do you really like my morning voice, radiante? (radiant, glowing?)"

I froze, eyes wide. Nicknames, huh? Why is he suddenly comfortable with me?

"Calling me radiant, Camilo? Bold of you" I said smugly.

"Ignoring the question, y/n? Bold of you" he replied, copying me.

We both laughed. The sun hit him just right, giving him a sunkissed look that just made him look radiant.

"So, you wanna hang out today?" he asked "You said we could hang out."

"Sure but don't you have chores to do?" I asked in reply.

"You heard Mirabel, we can just clean the house up a bit and then do whatever we want" he said, smiling.

"I guess that makes sense" I agreed, carrying the plates into the kitchen.

I set the plates down on the counter and Casita moved the tiles to push them into the sink. Julietta, who was washing the dishes, thanked me. I smiled at her and went upstairs to get a broom so I could sweep my room up a bit.

As I was sweeping, Camilo opened my door, barging into my room.

"Wha- Camilo! You should learn to knock" I said, scolding him.

"Yeah but that takes longer" he said, shrugging and flopping onto my bed.

"Hey, off" I said, gesturing for him to get off my damn bed.

"Nooo!" he whined "Your bed is comfy, my bed isn't comfy."

I rolled my eyes and waved my hand. The room contorted, moving everything except me to be upside down. Camilo fell onto the cieling, which was now on the floor.

"AHHH!" he screamed as he fell.

I laughed a bit but hoped that I didn't actually hurt him too much.

"Oh, shoot" I said, dropping the broom and running towards him.

He rolled over so he was laying on his back. He smiled up at me when he saw my worried expression.

"Aw, y/n cares about lil old me!" he exclaimed.

I flicked him on the forehead.

"Ow!" he said "Eso duele! (that hurts!)"

"Oh, whatever" I said, rolling my eyes "Get up, Camilo."

He whined but he got up anyway, pouting like a sad puppy.

"Why are you pouting? Stop it, it's weird" I said, picking up the broom.

"Fine" he said, brushing dust off of his ruana "Your room is cool."

"Does your room not do the same?" I asked.

"No, mine just has a bunch of mirrors in it" he said "Didn't you see it earlier?"

"I did not, it was dark and I was too busy making fun of you to notice it" I said, not looking up from my broom "Mirrors, huh? Is it because you're supposed to mirror other people?"

He didn't reply. His face softened and he frowned. Oh no, did I say something wrong?

"Your gift is...similar to mine, right?" he asked.

I nodded. Where was he going with this?

"Have you ever felt...lost?" he said, fiddling with his ruana.

I looked at him, silently asking for more context.

"Like you didn't really know who you were?" he asked.

"No" I answered him.

He looked at me with sad eyes. Then he gave me a sad smile and a forced laugh.

"Haha, I guess it's just me then" he said, sniffing a little.

"Not anymore anyway" I continued.

He looked at me with some kind of hope lighting up his eyes.

"So you used to?"

I nodded.

-------

Hehe, it might get angsty next chapter, just a warning!

-Kolour