Chapter seventy three: A surprise

Start from the beginning

"You caught me" Camilo said "But it's romantic! Let's say the pet name is...Generational!"

"Generational, huh" I said, sounding unimpressed.

"Whatever, nevermind" Camilo said "Wanna see the masks that Adriana and I picked?"

"Sure, Cami," I said, smiling at him.

"Wow, you two are just gonna completely forget about the love fest that you two just had?" I heard Miguel say from above us.

There he stood, in all his emo glory, leaning on the railing on the second floor. He blew his hair away from his face because of course he did. Then he glared at Camilo.

"It's not like that, Miguel" I assured him "We're just joking."

"You might be but who knows what he's doing," Miguel said, gesturing to Camilo.

Camilo let out a nervous chuckle.

"Miguel, it's-" Camilo said before getting cut off.

"And Adriana" Miguel said, interrupting him "I won't be needing the mask that you got me. I'm not going, remember?"

"Aw, c'mon!" Adriana yelled "Don't be a bummer, Miguel. It's not a good look on you! Besides, Carlos would want you to go!"

Miguel stayed quiet for a moment.

"I'll...Look at the mask," Miguel said.

Adriana cheered and I laughed. Miguel made his way downstairs and once we were all gathered, we made our way to the dining table.

"Okay, behold!" Camilo said, pulling out a mask "This one's Miguel's!"

Miguel snatched the mask as soon as Camilo had set it on the table.

"Grabby much?" Camilo said, jokingly.

Miguel flashed him an annoyed warning look, which shut Camilo up, before turning back to the mask and observing it. He squinted at it and looked at it from many different angles. I didn't see what he was trying to see. Imperfections? The mask was gorgeous and suited him very well!

It was mostly made of intricately stitched black lace that would hug the face of the person wearing it. The holes that you could see through were quite large and were in a fox eye type shape that would accent the eyeliner that Miguel always wore. The nose area would sit over the bridge of his nose comfortably and it was made of mostly fabric so it would be easy to move your face in. To top it all off, it had red hearts hidden in the lace's pattern on the forehead area and at the corners of the eye holes, which would make sense with Miguel's gift and his black and red colour scheme.

"It's...pretty" Miguel said "Dri did a good job picking this out for me."

"First, don't call me that" Adriana said "And second, Camilo picked it out, not me."

Miguel's eyes widened slightly and a bit of his hair fell over his left eye.

"Oh...Thank you then, Camilo," Miguel said quietly as he tucked the loose hair behind his ear.

"No problem, Miguel!" Camilo replied, cheerfully.

Then Adriana plopped her bag on the table and pulled out her mask.

It was perfect for her, I had seen the dress that she had picked out and the colours matched perfectly. The mask was made of some kind of durable plastic and was mostly a matte black colour but it was bedazzled with dark purple rhinestones that reminded me of the colour of Adriana's portals. The mask had a bunch of rhinestones clumped up on one side of the mask that led to a bright purple feather that really added some flair to it.

"That one is so perfect for you, Adriana!" I exclaimed.

"Thanks, it took me a while to pick it out," Adriana replied.

"Camilo, what did you get for yourself?" I asked, reaching for the bad that was at Camilo's side.

He quickly snatched it away and moved it out of my reach. Camilo flashed a smirk at me that piqued my curiosity.

"Nope, I'll give it to you on the day of the dance," Camilo said.

"What? How am I going to match my outfit to it if I don't know what it looks like?" I asked.

"You don't have to match your outfit to it, I've already taken care of that" Camilo answered.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean, I already made the trip to Senor Adan's shop and put in an order for both your and my outfits for the dance" Camilo said.

"What? I thought Senor Adan left Encanto with June" I said.

"He did but his wife is still running the shop and she's also a capable seamstress" Camilo explained "But it's still technically his shop."

"How did she know my measurements?" I asked, "Senor Adan never wrote it down, he just had a really good memory."

"Duh, I can shapeshift" Camilo said, shapeshifting into me to further prove his point "Why are you fighting this? Just thank me for doing all of this for you!"

I was grateful for it but now that he was telling me to do it, I didn't want to. I guess Camilo picked up on it because he slided next to me and put his face very close to mine.

"Go on, thank me" Camilo said "Say 'Thank you, Camilo! You're so handsome and generous and you're just so cool-'"

"Enough, enough" I said, cutting him off "Thank you, I appreciate not having to go through the struggle."

"No problem!" Camilo replied "Besides, now it's like a surprise!"

-----

Yay, three chapters published today!

-Kolour