《 underneath the smiles 》

For someone who's friends with animatronics, Y/n is relieved that the robots understand jokes and references to modern culture memes. They live in a mall after all, so who's to say they scour the internet for funny videos?

Y/n is just a worker in the gift shop with way too much time on her hands. On her breaks, which is coincidentally after showtime, Y/n goes to hang out with the animatronic band in the backstage rehearsal room that nobody uses. It's all fun and games when it comes to Y/n. She's a natural jokester, she knew how to lighten up the room. Sometimes even more than necessary. Freddy and Roxy let out the occasional chuckle at Y/n's jokes (with the former not getting most of them). Chica, meanwhile, would be clucking and laughing at the spoken vines. But Monty, well, Y/n thinks he's getting sick of it. The gator would often tell her to shut up but Freddy comes to defend her at those times.

Today is a little different. Freddy isn't present. He was busy getting repairs so it was just Roxy and Chica who kept Y/n company. Monty walks in and sees his bandmates sharing a laugh with Y/n. He growls under his breath.

"Heya, Monty." She smiles and waves at him but he kept his usual angry face. "I was beginning to think you wouldn't come."

"Huh?"

"You wouldn't wanna miss the brand new jokes I got—"

"Argh! That's it!" He snaps. Monty stomps over to Y/n, his large green frame towering over them. Y/n shrinks back. "I've had it. What the hell's wrong with you? All you say are these vines and memes and shit! It's not funny anymore."

"Oh." Y/n muttered. She then let out a smile, one that they couldn't notice was faked. "Ok then."

Monty huffed and stormed out. It took Y/n a good while to process what happened. Roxy and Chica didn't know what to do with either Monty or Y/n. They all knew that Monty had outbursts but this one was different. Freddy wasn't there to settle them either.

"Y/n? Are you ok?" Chica approached her carefully.

"...I'm fine."

Roxy and Chica watched in concern as Y/n ran out of the room. The wolf sends a message to Freddy via their private network.

...

Freddy left Parts and Service just as he received Roxy's alert. He immediately scours the pizzaplex for Y/n, checking the places where she would usually be. Freddy eventually finds her tucked away in a dark corner in Rockstar Row that was near his green room.

"Y/n? Are you alright? Roxy told me what happened." He knelt down next to her figure.

Y/n curled herself into a ball, trying to stick as close as possible to the wall. She didn't want to be seen this way and especially not by Freddy. And since Y/n refused to speak, Freddy simply decided to carry her and bring them right over to his room. Y/n had no objections either way.

Freddy sets her down on the high seat in front of the drawer and his star mirror. "Are you comfortable enough to talk?"

When Y/n doesn't answer, Freddy turns to get a Freddy plushie and lets her hold it. Y/n's eyes start to leak as she looks down at the stuffed toy. The orange bear panicked and asked her what was wrong. Y/n wipes her tears away and looked up at him. He places a hand on her shoulder, encouraging her to let it all out.

"All these jokes... they're practically useless." She lowers her head. "It's just a ruse."

"What do you mean?"

"I made a promise to my mom that I'll stay the happy girl I am. But now that she's gone..." Y/n begins to sob.

Freddy wraps his arms around her with care and pulls her into a warm embrace. She lets out a fountain of tears, finally breaking down. Underneath her smiles and jokes was a broken girl who could no longer hold on to a promise she couldn't keep.

《 end. 》

I apologize for the lack of quality. Deadlines are catching up and I have multiple projects to finish.