➳ Chapter 12 - I'm Going To Try My Best

[Ashley's POV]

I drank some beer as I watched Cayden eat like he hasn't eaten in months and basically stuffing his face.

I got him some of the grilled chicken Amy made, mashed potatoes and gravy, a bread roll, and 2 hard boiled eggs.

Poor kid. Must have been really hard for him since his mom died.

Just then Amy, Chris and CC walked in and Amy gave a sympatheetic look to Cayden before walking up.

"Sweetie, you'll get sick if you eat too fast," she said, placing her hand gently on his back.

He gulped down his food as Chris handed him a glass of juice.

"Sorry," he said, drinking his juice and sighing. "Its just... The food at the foster home wasn't really good. I avoided eating it, both because.... I just couldn't..."

I looked at him as Amy comforted.

"Cayden, I'm sorry about your loss. You're mother must have been more than amazing," Amy said, handing him a napkin, and he wiped his mouth with it.

He nodded. "Yeah, she was. Only reason she never called CC was because she wanted to protect him, and me," He said. "And because she thought he wouldn't want anything to do with us."

I frowned. Can't imagine how it must have been for them.

"Look, buddy," CC said, sitting next to him.

Cayden looked up at him.

"If I had known, I'm sure even as a reckless teen drummer that would have been acared, but I would take responsibility for you and taken care of you and your mom," CC said. "Its not gonna be easy for me, but I'm going to try my best."

Cayden looked up at CC and let out a deep breath. "Thank you. It makes me feel better hearing that from you, CC... Or, Dad, I guess," he said.

"Whatever you feel comfortable with," he said.

He nodded.

"Finish eating up, and don't eat too fast," I said. "We'll head back to the bus later on."

He nodded and continued to eat, this time slowly.

Amy decided to stay with him for a while as we all walked out the kitchen.

"You're pretty good with him, CC," Chris said.

CC looked up. "You think?"

"Yeah, he seems to be warming up to you," Jake shrugged.

"I don't know, I feel like I'm gonna mess this up," he said.

"Dude, relax, you're going to be a good dad for the kid. He does need a fatherly figure around," I said.

I patted his back and he nodded.

"You got all of us, CC, don't worry," Jinxx said. "Cayden will fit in just fine."

I hope I can do this.

~~~

Feedback!! ^.^=